Arc welding frames

I'll be honest I have no idea what this frame is but it has a racing engine with it and 26-in mag wheels so considering the kind of fracture it is I'm presuming that the customer must do a little racing. I think I'll try preheating it like you said and hit it with about 40 amps. Thanks for the tip how hot do you think I should preheat it? Cherry red? I've done a bit of blacksmithing and we always use the rule of thumb of the perfect peach color
Yeah that appears to be a cranbrook with the built in welded rack. Them frames are known to break there. I believe since then huffy has changed their frame design because of them breaking there.

Okay so this customer drop this thing off and needs me to weld the breaks I've got a little cracker box welder with 6011, 3/32 rods. I need some tips. I know how to weld I did a lot of it in high school but not much since then
Don't just try and weld the crack put a 1/2 pipe sleeve on it that goes well past the crack.

If ya just weld the crack it's gonna crack again right next to the weld

I'll be honest I have no idea what this frame is but it has a racing engine with it and 26-in mag wheels so considering the kind of fracture it is I'm presuming that the customer must do a little racing. I think I'll try preheating it like you said and hit it with about 40 amps. Thanks for the tip how hot do you think I should preheat it? Cherry red? I've done a bit of blacksmithing and we always use the rule of thumb of the perfect peach color
Yeah that appears to be a cranbrook with the built in welded rack. Them frames are known to break there. I believe since then huffy has changed their frame design because of them breaking there.
This appears to look like the bike you are working on...DAMIEN

Okay so this customer drop this thing off and needs me to weld the breaks I've got a little cracker box welder with 6011, 3/32 rods. I need some tips. I know how to weld I did a lot of it in high school but not much since then
Make sure you're rods are fresh new and kept from getting moisture... I put them in an oven for a few hours at 200° I store them in a sealed container with those silica do not eat pouches to keep moisture away... Military ammo cans work great...
7018 is my favorite 6011 is the other one... Like Diesel Tech mentioned small tacks... You're almost guaranteed to burn through... Do a set of tacks then grind it down and go over it again... A collar over it and welded like Wrench mentioned do the other side also.. I would add some gussets to it also and around the bike so the whole frame is stronger... I also put a piece of exaust tubing in to replace the down tube really strengthen your frame...

Check out Diesel Tech thread...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220425-204333.png
    Screenshot_20220425-204333.png
    204.1 KB · Views: 57
Years back the chain stay on the LandRider broke lose from the drop out. So I stick welded a piece of flat steel in the corner to reinforce it. The chain stay never broke lose again. The left side shows what the right side looked like before I stick welded in the reinforcement.
20200816_120223.jpg

16006400073962130403053.jpg

Back