Arctic Silver + Head Gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't bad enough to foul the plug so I'm not concerned.

I dumped a bunch of powderized graphite in my sparkplug port one day - had to change the first fouled plug and then it ran like a hot knife through butter.

I've been doing lead substitute additive which is giving me synthetic oil results.

Next force fed measure is a 12v fan on the carburetor air intake, all my research says 1cfm per horsepower.
I would be very careful about graphite in a motor, the clearance in the bearings is not much whatsoever, and graphite I already found really messes up a rollerskate/skateboard bearing, it basically gets crushed against the steel races and ball bearing and makes the surface rough, the bearing just doesn't roll right anymore. I would have to assume the bearings in the motor aren't any more resilient to this type of damage and so that specific lubricant should probably be avoided.

Lead substitute... Mixed feelings, have you recently tried not using it? You do know as the engine breaks in the performance is going to improve. It might not have anything to do with the lead, I'd try and see if it's not that which is improving the motor since lead is somewhat limited to what type of engines can be improved on by using a lead substitute (notice that it's specifically a substitute, which means it's meant to fill in for lead where lead is needed or where an engine will benefit from lead.)

The story behind it is when they removed lead from gasoline it stopped protecting engines with valves, basically the combustion Chamber would microweld the valves shut partially from the heat, and then the motor would break it open, over time this caused valves to function badly. The lead in the gas coated the valves and seats preventing the steel from welding together, and so valves lasted way way longer, which made the engine more reliable.

Now valves and seats are hardened and treated such that they don't weld shut, and so lead isn't very useful. Our 2 strokes lack valves and most other parts that could have a distinct benefit from lead additives, so you might just be spending money and exposing yourself to lead based chemicals for no real reason.

Could even be coincidence that the weather improved to the tuning of the bike, or something like a small leak clogged itself further improving performance, maybe even the unique lead chemistry plugged up some problem. A quality synthetic should provide any and all lubrication a 2 stroke will need. Especially of the lead additive is floating around in a synthetic oil as the carrier..

Don't even bother with the stupid fan idea (yes I've been through it and many others, it's collectively a stupid idea)

Just ride the bike, if you're going to invest in anything worth while in terms of performance then get a shift kit, you can then turn the simple motor into an actual realistic form of transportation, without pedaling up a hill, or from a stop, or really ever except starting. The kit keeps you riding at a reasonable rpm, so the engine ends up lasting much much longer, and you aren't feeling pressed to improve the power since the gears GIVE you all the right power in the right place.

I would be very careful about graphite in a motor, the clearance in the bearings is not much whatsoever, and graphite I already found really messes up a rollerskate/skateboard bearing, it basically gets crushed against the steel races and ball bearing and makes the surface rough, the bearing just doesn't roll right anymore. I would have to assume the bearings in the motor aren't any more resilient to this type of damage and so that specific lubricant should probably be avoided.

Lead substitute... Mixed feelings, have you recently tried not using it? You do know as the engine breaks in the performance is going to improve. It might not have anything to do with the lead, I'd try and see if it's not that which is improving the motor since lead is somewhat limited to what type of engines can be improved on by using a lead substitute (notice that it's specifically a substitute, which means it's meant to fill in for lead where lead is needed or where an engine will benefit from lead.)

The story behind it is when they removed lead from gasoline it stopped protecting engines with valves, basically the combustion Chamber would microweld the valves shut partially from the heat, and then the motor would break it open, over time this caused valves to function badly. The lead in the gas coated the valves and seats preventing the steel from welding together, and so valves lasted way way longer, which made the engine more reliable.

Now valves and seats are hardened and treated such that they don't weld shut, and so lead isn't very useful. Our 2 strokes lack valves and most other parts that could have a distinct benefit from lead additives, so you might just be spending money and exposing yourself to lead based chemicals for no real reason.

Could even be coincidence that the weather improved to the tuning of the bike, or something like a small leak clogged itself further improving performance, maybe even the unique lead chemistry plugged up some problem. A quality synthetic should provide any and all lubrication a 2 stroke will need. Especially of the lead additive is floating around in a synthetic oil as the carrier..

Don't even bother with the stupid fan idea (yes I've been through it and many others, it's collectively a stupid idea)

Just ride the bike, if you're going to invest in anything worth while in terms of performance then get a shift kit, you can then turn the simple motor into an actual realistic form of transportation, without pedaling up a hill, or from a stop, or really ever except starting. The kit keeps you riding at a reasonable rpm, so the engine ends up lasting much much longer, and you aren't feeling pressed to improve the power since the gears GIVE you all the right power in the right place.

Lead substitute, my bike runs the same as DINO-OPTI mix. Thinner HG and a higher compression head will burn the additional octane eventually.

Graphite, fouled a plug. Speculate whatever, all it did was foul a plug and run smooth as f***. Experience.

That's not me, I rather do what I can with what I have to work with. Plenty of reasons why anything, it's compensated variables that were addressed hundreds of miles ago.

Everybody hates it but I am still installing a fan because there is room for a tangible benefit.

Last edited:
That's not me, I rather do what I can with what I have to work with. Plenty of reasons why anything, it's compensated variables that were addressed hundreds of miles ago.

Everybody hates it but I am still installing a fan because there is room for a tangible benefit.
Nobody hates your decisions since they don't affect any of us.

A 90% efficient motor should take 185 watts to deliver 1cfm air effectively. Where you'll find those watts is beyond me unless you have a battery you'll charge after every ride. A gasoline motor never felt so tied down...

Nobody hates your decisions since they don't affect any of us.

A 90% efficient motor should take 185 watts to deliver 1cfm air effectively. Where you'll find those watts is beyond me unless you have a battery you'll charge after every ride. A gasoline motor never felt so tied down...
According to drag figures, 500cfm carburetor = 500hp engine. If I treat mine as a 5hp=5cfm carburetor, why not put a 5 cfm 12v .84W fan where it mathematically fits... All it's gonna do is slow my engine light glow up and provide an extra ondemand air particulate on time.

It will fit in the frame, so it's happening - still gotta seal it without locking myself out of it.

DSC_0093.JPG

Last edited:
Been all about it for the past decade, putting thousands of miles on them riding daily.

That graphite bike was what I drove in 2013, all black chalkboard paintjob with white wall tires.
Was what you drove! Yet I am still using my engines from ten years ago Hhmm wonder why?

Was what you drove! Yet I am still using my engines from ten years ago Hhmm wonder why?

You trying to talk s**t instead of talk topic because you can't contribute to the conversation? Because I had 5 different police squads in a 2 county chase out of state is what happened to my ride from 2009-2011 and I've built a new one every year since then. f*** your attitude yo, get sideways with bitches, not with me.

2008 cracked fighting a Jeep wrangler, 2012 was stolen, 2013 I donated, 2014 is a parts bike, 2015 was no brakes, 2016 was an electric beach cruiser, and now I'm on a 24" chopper. I've been around the block.

Last edited:
According to drag figures, 500cfm carburetor = 500hp engine. If I treat mine as a 5hp=5cfm carburetor, why not put a 5 cfm 12v .84W fan where it mathematically fits... All it's gonna do is slow my engine light glow up and provide an extra ondemand air particulate on time.

It will fit in the frame, so it's happening - still gotta seal it without locking myself out of it.

View attachment 76670
Because that's a free air fan, not a compressor. If it can't force your hand off it then it's not pushing any harder than the air ever could while riding (you know like sticking your hand out to the side and the air pushes back.)

You would be better off taking advantage of a true air ram design in that case, which even then isn't effective on these bikes.

View attachment 76670
You trying to talk sh*t instead of talk topic because you can't contribute to the conversation? Because I had 5 different police squads in a 2 county chase out of state is what happened to my ride from 2009-2011 and I've built a new one every year since then. f**k your attitude yo.

2008 cracked fighting a Jeep wrangler, 2012 was stolen, 2013 I donated, 2014 is a parts bike, 2015 was no brakes, 2016 was an electric beach cruiser, and now I'm on a 24" chopper. I've been around the block.
If you actually knew what you were talking about then maybe there would be no need to set the facts straight for those who also may read this!I'm glad you've been around the block but remember some of us have been building engines since before you were born and if thats not enough experience for you than sorry but you will never learn!

If you actually knew what you were talking about then maybe there would be no need to set the facts straight for those who also may read this!I'm glad you've been around the block but remember some of us have been building engines since before you were born and if thats not enough experience for you than sorry but you will never learn!

This isn't a magical fantasy land of hypothetical s**t, I'm talking about hands on experience and how it relates to the topic while you theorize on results different than something that already happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back