Are All Brake Cables the Same?

Jason74

Local time
2:09 PM
Well, after nearly 250 mile on my HT, I had my first real equipment failure. The clutch cable broke. Fortunately this looks like a simple fix as it appears that any standard brake cable will work as a replacement. However, my question is this: Are all brake cables the same? Will they all be prone to quick failure like this one, or can I buy something of greater quality that will last longer?

Thanks,
Jason

Where did your cable break?

I've never had a brake cable break before. Mabey its because of the iffy quality from China?

Anyway, you could try a stainless steel cable. What you have is probably a zinc plated mild steel cable. Any cable is probably better than the one you had.

Just make sure the clutch cable has the same ends as a brake cable.

I have found the clutch cables are a bit thicker than the typical brake cables included on a bike. If you go to a powersports dealer, they'll be able to make you a cable that will never break.

I liberally grease both the throttle and clutch cables. Never really had much trouble with them, except for a few throttle cables that were cut too short from the factory.

It broke somewhere inside the adjustment barrel. From the way it broke, it looks like it possible that it was getting caught or rubbing something pretty hard. I did not grease the cable at time of install. I will do so with my replacement cable. A little bit of grease may have prevented this failure.

Thanks,
Jason

Back