Are all pull starts equally bad?

That pull start you’re showing is the kind I don’t like , but it might be ok. Just when you install it take your time make sure it doesn’t hit screws on magneto when turning. That’s the piece that goes on crank shaft. Then when putting the big case part you might have to pull rope a little for it to drop it spot to tighten.

Yes if proper taken care right. They last awhile. I got one that been on two motors. I would say 4000 miles and still going strong.

Last edited:
So I installed it but it doesn’t want to recoil. I wonder if an extra gasket will loosen thing up a little in there

Well never tried that. I would say pull the big part where the spring and work some grease in the spring part. After you work some grease in there wipe the excess grease off. Try that

I listened to bolts holding the pull rope on and it definitely works better, that confirms it is indeed a space issue. The magnet on the YD 100 seems to be a little wider than a standard China girl. A few extra gaskets should do the trick. I was able to start it on the first pull with a little mix in the spark plug hole. This is the first time I started the engine, by the way.

I listened to bolts holding the pull rope on and it definitely works better, that confirms it is indeed a space issue. The magnet on the YD 100 seems to be a little wider than a standard China girl. A few extra gaskets should do the trick. I was able to start it on the first pull with a little mix in the spark plug hole. This is the first time I started the engine, by the way.
That's why back 2011 -13 when I was 1st on here. Now I'm on more then before. That same pull start in 2012 that you have, they said to put lock washer on crank next to the magnet and then put the pull start smaller wheel on, that would make sense. Now the other two styles you leave the lock washer off.

Last edited:
Back