Are cheap sprockets ok to use?

Gavin67

Local time
8:15 PM
I'm a college student, and only work in the summer so price is a huge issue. I was looking at a 36 tooth sprocket for $8, are those any good? I see the chrome looking ones for around $20+, but for me $8 for a sprocket is a lot for me already.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
yes that sprocket is fine but note he charges $5 shipping. did you ask some of the 2-stroke guys here about your tuning issue before purchase. i ask because it does take some effort to change sprockets especially if you are using the pineapple rubber mounts.

the 44t to 36t is a big jump; generally its is about 3/4 mph per T so you are probably gaining about 6 mph at the peak HP RPMs IF your motor can pull you at that RPM aka you are a light or average weight rider and not many hills. at lower rpm you will have to pedal a bit more and at high rpm the motor might not have enough hp to push you beyond your top speed on 44T.

actually, i have a 36T sprocket you can have. it is dirty and greasy as hell but with some polishing it should shine again. i use to use it on my 2-stroke bike (retired) i am a 4-stroke guy now and will never use it due to my gearing and hills. just pm me your address and ill send it out and lets do the honor system and just send me the shipping cost when you get it.

also, incase the performance is not what you expected, i would set up the 36T sprocket and chain tensioner so that you do not need to remove links. if the performance is good then afterwards go ahead and adjust the tensioner for max adjustment and shorten the chain.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/80cc-50c-ga...hash=item1ec1a24c14:m:mT1sI5rfwLoBn_Qct03BVPQ

I've been told my engine is running lean because I have a 44t sprocket, since my rpms are always high. I already went down to the smallest jet, which is a 2 and it still runs lean unless I go at 15mph. I remember being able to go 35mph with the bigger jets, but the spark plug was in very bad condition after that.
Put the stock jet back in it and clean the plug once in a while. To lean = fried engine.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/80cc-50c-ga...hash=item1ec1a24c14:m:mT1sI5rfwLoBn_Qct03BVPQ

I've been told my engine is running lean because I have a 44t sprocket, since my rpms are always high. I already went down to the smallest jet, which is a 2 and it still runs lean unless I go at 15mph. I remember being able to go 35mph with the bigger jets, but the spark plug was in very bad condition after that.
I don't know who told you that, but you should stop listening to them. what sprocket you have has absolutely zero to do with how much fuel you're getting.

I don't know what you mean by a "2" jet, that's way out of the range of what should be able to run. most motors want somewhere in the neighborhood of a 65 jet. smaller jets also make the engine run leaner. lean means too little fuel and rich means too much, and the smaller the jet the less fuel it flows.

My mistake I mean't I put the biggest jet I can find (I sometimes get mixed up between which ones make it richer or lean). Its a 64 jet, and it runs lean.

Back