Are Chinese motorcycles any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it true the top speed is 62mph?

Top speed is likely governed by a few things on these bikes, just like on the CG engines. Their engines ( if Lifan or DongFan ) are a pushrod, not OHC and they have a longer stroke so they tend to not rev well past 6K.

They do pull well over a broad range of RPM, but the best power you'll get is maybe 18 h.p.

You can easily change the countershaft sprocket to increase the top speed, it does make them a pain to trail ride as they don't have a wide spread of gear ratios, even though they're a 5 speed transmission.

You can get into the exhaust and intake tracts and cut baffles out to increase the intake and exhaust flow. It will require rejetting the Keihin clone carbs they come with. HugeMoth, who owns the 70K mileage Lifan GY200 doesn't ride his much over 55 mph, they have limitations that are best respected if you want to have them last.

Last edited:
Street- yes that dongfang is dot approved and it said it was street legal. Ships to your house for $1,698 and $75 shipping. I saw it on saferwholesale.com. Which has a lot of ruckus clones and cheap mopeds. FNT did you mean your neighbor had a kymco or a Chinese bike?View attachment 84388
Thes guys offer no repair manuals. That should be your first clue.

No repair manual ? - DON"T BUY !

Bicycle engine kits don't come with repair manuals either...

That's why the internet is so great. There's are all sorts of forums and YouTube videos on how to repair these bikes. And with the OHV 200 and 230cc china-bikes they're easy because the top end doesn't have a cam chain to mess with when doing a top end overhaul. Just remove the exhaust and intake manifold/carb, remove the valve cover and four cylinder bolts. Easy peasy

Last edited:
After owning 7 motorcycles, mostly so Honda, I got my first dongfang. Learned a great deal from that bike and haven't even put any miles on it yet. The key to these Chinese bikes is that you have to seriously go over every bit of the bike. Everything, every bolt on it. Take the fairings off and strip search that baby. Doing this completed my inspection of it and I found so many loose bits. But I now know that bike far more intimately than any bike I've ever owned.

As for quality, yes it's true. Once you go digging the quality quickly dips and becomes not as pretty under the skirt and parts are ok at best. Though, for the price I feel like it is fine. A few good upgrades here or there and you are good to go when you need them. Parts are very cheap and mostly obtained online or through a dealer and you are your own mechanic. It is a very refreshing experience I must say.

I am torn though in whether such a bike would be good for a total new Rider. I feel that if a friend was willing to help them through the entire ordeal, then yes, it is worth the low cost and valuable lesson learned. But without support, this bike would not be a safe choice to just jump on and ride. Though one could argue the same of any crated motorcycle.

Chinese 250 as in a CSC brand has only 16 hp. That's a dog for a 250cc dual sport, you won't be happy. Use your money and buy a good used jap bike and be happy:), parts are available too.

I think a 250 Chinese bike is a great beginner M/C just like a 250 Honda Rebel or a 250 Yamaha Virago. After 6 months to 1 year your gonna want something bigger. But it's a very good choice to start out with a small M/C and learn how to ride .
I don't know if Chinese bikes are any good? Probably not. Your gonna ditch it after 6 month to 1 year anyways. If it don't fall apart first.
If ya gotta check every nut and bolt and check every little detail to make sure the M/C is safe. It ain't the M/C to buy.

I got my M/C DL using a rebel 250 for the test from a private motorcycle license school. I'm 6ft and the bike was way too small for my frame. Felt too bunched up, just way too small. Nice bike though, thought about buying one till that event. You can get a deal on a nice used one that's barely been rode.

Yea, The 250 Rebel and the Virago are kinda small. Made for short Japs :ROFLMAO:
Besides not having enough leg room the stock handle bars are way too close in. Changing the handle bars to bars that are 10" taller and have your reach 10" to 12" farther out is a little better. But you will still feel like a 🐒 riding it.

The problem with both the Virago and Rebel are that the frames and handlebar and foot peg ergonomics are cramped. A lot of really older design 1960's motorcycles and small cruisers are cramped. I rode a '81 Yamaha 750 Virago and desipte the engine's bulk and bike's weight my knees were way too high and the seat didn't allow you to slide back.

My 1969 Honda Cub is more comfortable. I think it funny when I pull up next to some beanie pirate on a Harley and they're sitting 3 inches closer to the ground than I am on my little step through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back