Are Chinese motorcycles any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Chinese bike, dont remember brand but it was purchased at a motorcycle dealership and looked a more like an Enduro than that picture. It was fully street legal with lights/mirrors/etc and was 125cc if I remember correctly. I rode it home for him from ~20 minutes away when he was stopped without a license and they wouldn't let him bring it home so I got to experience it first hand. The motor was actually not that bad - just a bit low on power - but everything else was terrible. The brakes sucked, the suspension sucked, shifter was notchy, etc.

The bike had around 500 miles on it at the time and had just got its first service so it wasn't beat to hell. I would happily spend an extra $500-$1000 on a used name brand bike and get something that can last for many years with better parts availability. Even a very basic entry level one like an early 2000s Ninja 250 is superior in every way and since they make the much better looking 300s and 400s now the older 250s have gotten dirt cheap...you can get one in good shape for under $2k now which is a killer deal for a super reliable and fun starter bike with a MASSIVE aftermarket and dirt cheap parts.

Honestly you're not going to find a 'decent used' $500 to $1000 brand name bike. You'll most likely find bikes that have been 'customized' or similarly abused by hipsters or tweakers. Half decent are starting in the 2000 and up range and you're not going to find any BMW, Husky or other high end European, modern DS, not unless there's a s**t ton of repair needed or it's a basketcase. Cheap Suzuki DR250's were going for more than $1700 back in 2006.

You can go with the Kymco and not be sorry. They are a name brand Taiwan-based manufacturer, not Chineese. (China may beg to differ that point) They make quality bikes and scooters. They stand behind them with parts and service. Course you will pay more for one. You'll be getting what you pay for. Buy cheap and spend most your time working on it.

Honestly you're not going to find a 'decent used' $500 to $1000 brand name bike. You'll most likely find bikes that have been 'customized' or similarly abused by hipsters or tweakers. Half decent are starting in the 2000 and up range and you're not going to find any BMW, Husky or other high end European, modern DS, not unless there's a sh*t ton of repair needed or it's a basketcase. Cheap Suzuki DR250's were going for more than $1700 back in 2006.
Old reply, but I meant spend an *extra* $500-1000 for a brand name bike - not that you can get one for $500-1k.

Well I just learned they stopped making the spade in the color I wanted. Probably poor criticism killed off the brown/burnt copper paint theme. Now I think they just have sliver and black. They seem to be a really rare brand around where I live I could only find them for sale really far away. Lets be honest the most common bike is a Harley Davidson. Usually its old timers that call Jap bikes rice rockets and such. It's like car guys that talk sh*t on other brands just because of a bias. I don't hate Dodge, Ford or Chevy and I'm not one of those guys that talks sh*t on a brand. I do actually want an old square body chevy some day.

I've actually had some interest in getting a cheap Chinese motorcycle until I found that none of them or only a few are CARB certified so I'm out of luck to have one in Cali...

Ya Ca is funny they have tons of restrictions unlike everywhere else but you only have to be 16 to ride a bike with an engine and I don’t think you even need a class C. There is now epa or carb engine kits with a little spark arrestor/smog thing on the muffler.

I've actually had some interest in getting a cheap Chinese motorcycle until I found that none of them or only a few are CARB certified so I'm out of luck to have one in Cali...

If I'm not mistaken California Scooter Company sells CARB compliant Taiwan and Chinese made motorcycles

Hi to all. Newbie here. I have this motorcycle since December and besides changing the oil and a burnt speedometer light it has been great. I had to assemble the handlebar and front tire. I was a bit concerned about quality but I said what the heck for $1,700 I will take my chances. That being said I bought it from belmonte bikes and they offer a six month warranty free of charge. When I have call them with questions they have responded immediately. Buy from a good dealership and get peace of mind. Check the BBB for information about the dealer. The good thing about these bikes is that they use a lot of what you call universal parts so there are plenty accesories to choose from. I have check Alibaba and a lot of the so called American or British brands are made there and imported here to the USA under the brand name. Here is a photo of my little girl.

Attachments

• E6888FA3-CE81-4C2A-916F-03147B1FE10A.jpeg
    E6888FA3-CE81-4C2A-916F-03147B1FE10A.jpeg
    240.4 KB · Views: 256
  • F8FFF7F8-E4B4-485C-99AD-5FFA506FA104.jpeg
    F8FFF7F8-E4B4-485C-99AD-5FFA506FA104.jpeg
    278.6 KB · Views: 303
  • 1FA1B110-E11A-4974-B17F-8F1924E89F0D.jpeg
    1FA1B110-E11A-4974-B17F-8F1924E89F0D.jpeg
    298.4 KB · Views: 255

Status
Not open for further replies.