Are Gas MB Really Necessary When Compared To Electrics?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 4613
  • Start date
Nice bike for off road. Cops will hassle you on the road or trails thinking it's a m/c I think.

Nice bike for off road. Cops will hassle you on the road or trails thinking it's a m/c I think.
That is the whole legal grey area I mentioned in my other post. Most places don't have sufficient legal definitions for bikes like the Talaria. It's not quite a motorcycle, but not a bicycle either. My city would just classify it as a moped, so it would require registration. That's not a big deal to me as I ride motorcycles and have the endorsement already. The thing is, the police won't bother you here unless you are doing something stupid to cause them to pay attention to you. I ride by officers on my 2 stroke bike and they just wave back and let me go about my business. It's technically not legal either and should be registered, but nobody actually cares.

You will like the e-bikes for the paths, I ride mine all the time, we have hundreds of miles of trails around here. It's peaceful and relaxing, you can hear the birds wildlife etc. I generally do about 8-12 MPH, they climb hills almost effortlessly, I have gotten 32 miles of range on this one. I've never had to do any maintenance on the drive systems on any of my e bikes, and we ride them a lot. If you take care of the batteries, they go a long time.

Attachments

• EBIKE.jpg
    EBIKE.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 117
For me, practical for a motorized bike means unlimited range. 20 years ago, I used to ride Puch and Tomos 50cc mopeds 300 miles at the time. A full tank of premix, and 2 more gallons in plastic oil jugs in bicycle panniers. I rode on the shoulders of rural country roads all over southern AZ.

I have an early '70s Solex 3800. It is quiet, but there is a huge fine for riding an internal combustion powered vehicle where I want to ride. Not worth getting caught. Besides, it is sometimes fairly crowded, and somebody would notice.

Yes I love the sound, feel, and smell of a 2 stroke engine.

CENTURION, yes, that is the kind of riding I'm talking about. Nice and slow, peaceful and relaxing. That's what I used to do on a pedal bike back when I could still pedal. I am considering the RadCity 5+ stepthrough. Yes, it's $2K, plus I would need to replace the seat with something more comfortable, and probably add a suspension seatpost. NOT cheap. That's why I'm taking so long to consider it.

I am considering the RadCity 5+ stepthrough. Yes, it's $2K, plus I would need to replace the seat with something more comfortable, and probably add a suspension seatpost. NOT cheap. That's why I'm taking so long to consider it.
This one is for sale a couple of streets over from me by one of our elderly church members that is having health problems and can no longer ride...he has had it less than a year with only 36 miles on it...Quite a savings from $2000 dollars.

That is the whole legal grey area I mentioned in my other post. Most places don't have sufficient legal definitions for bikes like the Talaria. It's not quite a motorcycle, but not a bicycle either. My city would just classify it as a moped, so it would require registration. That's not a big deal to me as I ride motorcycles and have the endorsement already. The thing is, the police won't bother you here unless you are doing something stupid to cause them to pay attention to you. I ride by officers on my 2 stroke bike and they just wave back and let me go about my business. It's technically not legal either and should be registered, but nobody actually cares.
In my area at least, they're just bikes and aren't regulated any different. No rules on using the motor on a path.

In my area at least, they're just bikes and aren't regulated any different. No rules on using the motor on a path.
I'm not concerned with using bike paths as we barely have any here, and the ones that do exist I can't use for any purpose anyway. I ride entirely on the road, and that puts them under scrutiny by the local government.

I'm not concerned with using bike paths as we barely have any here, and the ones that do exist I can't use for any purpose anyway. I ride entirely on the road, and that puts them under scrutiny by the local government.
I doubt the average officer even knows that a MB must be registered; I imagine it's so obscure that it doesn't come up much at "the Academy". If it becomes a problem, they could start informing the officers there, so don't do nothing stupid! ;)

There are many paved trails in my neighborhood with stripes that look like mini streets, but I, too, usually just use the road and bike lanes. Some major streets have the road, bike lane, sidewalk, and a parallel trail all in the same stretch. ABQ is a quirky amalgamation of "bike-friendly' and 'bike-deadly'.

I doubt the average officer even knows that a MB must be registered; I imagine it's so obscure that it doesn't come up much at "the Academy". If it becomes a problem, they could start informing the officers there, so don't do nothing stupid! ;)

There are many paved trails in my neighborhood with stripes that look like mini streets, but I, too, usually just use the road and bike lanes. Some major streets have the road, bike lane, sidewalk, and a parallel trail all in the same stretch. ABQ is a quirky amalgamation of "bike-friendly' and 'bike-deadly'.
Omaha is 98% Bike deadly.

Back