Are HT kits Illegal in US?

sonny

Local time
7:14 PM
I was just reading some threads and saw a poll and postings that indicated that there is a ban on the HT 2 cycle imports into the US. The companies that are selling them on ebay and such are out of Canada and are getting around the ban. I just completed and auction on ebay today for an 80cc kit and would like to know if I should go through with it. Would appreciate any input before I complete the transaction on Monday. Thanks, from the new guy trying to find his way in the MB world.

some opinion based on MUCH experience

the HT (man, i am so sorry i ever coined that phrase) is NOT certified for use in the USA in any form. only the 48cc version will ever have a legal chance of becoming so, anything larger just makes your bicycle "legally" an over-powered bicycle and therefore an unregistered motorcycle instead.

only my opinion...but opinion based on experience, personal communications with many key-players, and ethics.

Last edited:
In Florida any thing 48cc and smaller and not exceeding 20mph is a power assisted bicycle and in a class by itself. It does not require a motorcycle license, insurance or registration. I thought I had read that these engines were really not more than a 48cc engine and carried no markings. I planned to use the bike for short distance commutes and shopping. What kind of trouble am I setting myself up for? Thanks for the reply.

I thought I had read that these engines were really not more than a 48cc engine and carried no markings.
i see the majority of chinese engines being *openly* sold as above-48cc (obviously without markings, go figure)...mostly the "70"..."80" is a blatant LIE!

like i said, much of my opinion is based on ethics....as we've learned over the last couple years, the american consumer is gonna do what he or she wants, regardless of the collective impact it has on the current situation.

because of it's foundation, by default the entire (USA) HT industry is rife with dishonesty or at the least confusing subterfuge...you makes yer choices and you pays the price.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like I need to go back to the drawing board and find a US company that is selling that which is approved for operation here. If there is such a thing. Do these same restrictions apply to 4 stroke as far as you know? I really appreciate the informed input and advice. Thanks.

i appreciate your genuine inquiries and a chance to responsibly discuss this.

yes, there are a few all-usa companies that only offer kits with japanese engines that are certified as meeting EPA/CARB requirements, in both 2- & 4-stroke options. half the size, same performance & twice the efficiency...3 times the cost & worth every penny, my tanaka 32cc has outlived half-a-dozen HT's easy...i am the service rep for one such company, there are more sources around the forums :cool:

Last edited:
Im not an eco crazy but with all the pollution we need to do the right thing in my opinion. If it isnt carbII compliant it shouldnt be sold as a new product.

In Florida any thing 48cc and smaller and not exceeding 20mph is a power assisted bicycle and in a class by itself. It does not require a motorcycle license, insurance or registration. I thought I had read that these engines were really not more than a 48cc engine and carried no markings. I planned to use the bike for short distance commutes and shopping. What kind of trouble am I setting myself up for? Thanks for the reply.

hi do u have any link you can share about this florida law? i would like to have something to carry
on me like this. thanks.

augi, thank you for the candid information and discussion. I guess my next step is to contact ebay. I have been looking at this option for some time now and not until I found this forum did I realize that there were so many others out there looking at the same alternatives. It was not until I was reading through this forum did I understand the possible illegality of this alternative. I also own a SACHS equipped bike that was originally assembled from the real SACHS parts by a company here in the US. It does meet all of the cc and other restrictions. Maybe my direction should be to get it in operational working order. The only drawback is having to wait for parts shipments from Australia and Europe. If you know the SACHS engine, you know that while it is very well engineered and designed it is also very expensive. A new engine runs about $1500.00. I thought that I would build one of the others for a lot less money and then take the time to address the SACHS. Looks like I need to go the other way. Thanks again for the info.

Stringer, yes I can find it again and I will post it here on the forum within the next couple of days. I will try to find it now, but, if it takes to long it will have to wait until tomorrow night. Gotta umpire some college games in the morning. Sonny

Back