Are motorized bicycles just money pits/hindrances?

You are are an idiot. The kits are full of junk parts but even the cheapest of the 2 strokes can be made to run.

You and Will must have a lot of built up rage for the 2 strokes. What's wrong? Have a hard time reading, using tools or both? It is the simplest engine, parts are affordable and there is a ton of info here as well as all over the web.

Still can’t figure out the mathematics to back up the income tax?

The 2 stroke kits are junk. From the castings to the quality control.

Argue all you want but plenty of people make them work very well. Since you couldn't even tighten your spark plug your thoughts on engines is irrelevant.

That finger is pointing at a hairline fracture.

Poor castings.

The 2 Stroke motors really are junk. They’re fun but lmao def junk

ok so you guys are in the 30% that didn't get a good one. maybe you got 2 rough castings,,
who says 2 strokes are only for short dx? I have 3 long ass trips on my 48cc. 150mi, 55 and 75. first one was the bone stock kit. now getting close to 1k miles.
I cant be the only one that got a good one off fleabay!
if you take a CR125 and go WOT all the time, you'll wear stuff out pretty quick. join a db group and read the threads.
granted China doesn't do quality checks much but as designed, they are not horrible. some % do make it thru with problems. usually easy to fix

Often over the years I've noticed that the less one is mechanically inclined, the more hate that one has for ye olde HappyTime engines.

Some of them might indeed be junk - cast from some mechanical contraption that _it's_ owner called junk. Maybe you get an engine built on a Monday. Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder. It was proven a while back on Mythbusters that one can indeed polish a turd. The Japanese figured it out, it takes a few days of meticulous work. Inspiring for a chinagirl owner!

Lets see. New used bike $150 est. GEBE kit plus HD rear wheel $550 est. HS 53cc $200 est. New Kevlar tires and tubes$100 est. New seat $35 est. $50 for odds n ends like a new mirror etc. est. $1,085 est. Yes it is a money pit. If that new honda gx50 comes out it wll be at least that much more. LOL I'm crying. WOW I might have to reconsider that GEBE kit, dunno.

Last edited:
New cars are the ultimate money pits, I think. Car payment + full coverage insurance = $300 a month for a car easy. Some people pay over $1k a month and they're freakin leasing. I probably have $2500 in both my bikes in the last 10 years. That's what, under $25 a month!

but 1000 for a decent 4 stroke build is ok bcs spread out over it's lifespan of years and something like 150/yr probaby less it seems not that much,, spread over miles, $0.10 per mile maybe?
I have more miles than $ in my CG now so I'm working on less than $1/mile

Okay, I spent about $600 on my first bike. I started with a kit and upgraded it until I had a reliable bike then I put over well over 2000 very fun miles on it and it's still running great today. I spent about $1000 on my second bike but I got alot of stuff it don't really need and its been fun to mess around with. Is that alot of money for 2 bikes? This is just a hobby for me and I think it's actually a cheap hobby when compared things like snow skiing, motor boats, dirt bikes or quads, or hobbies like golf. If you compare it to entertainment like $100-$200 for good seat to a concert or some magic show or something like that which is over in a few hours, it seems cheap. It's more expensive than basketball but far cheaper than women, haha.

Last edited:
Back