Tubes Are 'Slime' tubes worth the extra money?

Herder, did you mean,"will displace and unbalance a wheel"? Seems to me the stuff will head to the farthest place in the tire and add to any unbalance.

Herder, did you mean,"will displace and unbalance a wheel"? Seems to me the stuff will head to the farthest place in the tire and add to any unbalance.

It will work just like those bolt on rings they use on semis.
http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/5466049/description.html.

I have been to ludicrous speeds if the slime favered making things worse I would know. Been up to 60 mph [ going down a mountain]everything will rattle then.

The best thing I ever found was to ride it when the puncture happens! That's just how the slime works . With a motor I would get on it hope for the best. That would get me home or to an air station. Usually after I re-air the tire, ride hard once more it was sealed. Slime is like wine it gets better with age! Works even better I think.

In my case with the razor blade the first time I got home I had green around me. lol. Don't really mind if I don't have to walk the dog home. I re-aired that tire the rear one. Went on to ride it another 75 miles occasionally re-airing it until I replaced the tube and tire. It looked like a blow out waiting to happen. Even if I get to where it on me , which has been very rare. I where it with pride love the stuff.

Those thin tubes are false advertising I think... I don't use tire liners either. Just saying I did not need them. Also wonder if certain liners if a smooth glossy surface effects the sealing? Its a thought?

Last edited:
re: semi truck sand/glass balancers

I am a semi truck driver and I can attest to the concept of sand ballast rings. They are metal rings (imagine hula hoops hahhaha) that have metal attachment points through which the rings are mounted inboard of the wheel, using the 8-12 wheel mounting studs.

At speeds up to 45mph the balancers may actually cause some slight rocking, but at highway speeds or any time at the same speed, the sand or other media in the rings will cause the wheel to balance nicely, avoiding the cumbersome method of using large dangerous wheel weights on truck wheels.

I say 100% yes, the slime tubes are worth it, if they are the "Super tubes", extra thick heavy duty tubes. I tried some of the Inline (non slime) super tubes yesterday on a rigid mountain bike with 1.75 slicks, and they were super easy to install and cushy to ride. They were slightly heavier, but made for a very nice ride and looked very durable. I think if it had slime in it the product would just be that much better. :cyclist:

In the southwest, we have nasty goathead thorns. I use puncture resistant tubes and True Goo sealant. No more flats. I use to have an occasional flat with Slime.

Occasional sure. flat shoot man air it up ride it its fine. Mus-ta been using those paper thin tubes. I live on a bike. The only thing I will ever use is slime. I don't get flats at all what so ever. There was somebody here locally that came up with that True Goo I think I remember the shop. :eek::whistle:

I was on paper thin tubes when I tried it came with the bike I bought as an add on. I was ****ed had a flat in two days. Put my proven thorn proof slime jobbers together. Peddled that pig thorough thick and thin. For 18,000 miles before I retired it. It was a Diamond Back V-link 3.0. Just one of many bikes. I must have 60.000 O Goat sticker herding!

Gears front and rear set up as touring. Tripple Crown RockShox Judys. The killer ultra light ones they don't make any more. Warranted the rear triangle for cracked trailing arm once. Second time got creative and repaired it. Never down hilled the bike or ramped it. I still have the frame in my yard!

No the original tubes never failed. Replaced them because they had dried out stress cracks to them and the tires. Averaged 3000 to 4500 miles on my tires always retired them still working. My point being I don't think anybody will ever be happy with a paper thin tube and expect any stop leak to work. It is false advertising. I think the racers cut corners with paper thin tubes and minuscule amounts of the sealant. Don't think it works with smooth liners? Don't know?

Check my name here Goat Herder I know bout them there stickers!:whistle: I felt it was important to get my story clear about slime if it worked or not. I am probably not done. I don't sell it not going to either. I feel bad for folks that waste there money and time. Especially on them paper thin tubes. Just wanted to help.....Maybe I shall dis spell all the Myths with a you tube Aye?

http://sandradodd.com/goatheads Slime mentioned here!!!

Lets be real here if the nail or thorn can get all the way to the rim side of the tube no stop leak will fix it. After putting any kind of goo in a tube patches will not adheise. [ Very likely ] . As for a major impalement? Your gonna be wearing some goo.

In my glass and razor blade cases 5 to 10 mm slits. Tire was a fast leaker off the bat. Gotta spin that wheel, riding it that's how it will seal. In all of my cases I was in the city got to a air station just fine peddling or by motor not walking. By then the tire was sealed even better and did my bidding. A good stop leak will build up at the area and improve. At some point it is time to replace stuff [ tire and tube ]. I don't walk my bikes. Except for that inner rim impalement then its gone. [ That's the part of denial with a patch kit]

If I park a slime bike long enough the tires will soften. [ usually for months ] I air it hard ride it at which point seals up immediately. Maybe once a month to two months I have to re-air it depends on how many Goat Stickers . Ride it no leaks park it slow leaks. Now by saying I have to re-air it. The said tire never ever went flat just got only a little soft. That's not walking the dog home. Been that way for me for over 25 years or more...

Always did put a little more than the directions said on the bottle. Gives some pretend side wall protection, longevity for a bad impalement,tire balance, last that constant barrage of stickers! Like wine its even better with age! Winter verses summer? You've heard the old saying.
Expansion contraction. 40 below needs more air. Than a hot July day. Same thing with a car tire or any thing else with no slime or any thing in it..

Some folks live in areas where there just isn't any road hazards. No stickers or cacti. I got to live in Austin Texas for awhile. Paper thin tube just might work there. Would not know was not going to change my recipe. I have no need to not going experiment.. Hope this helps somebody!!

Slime was introduced to me some 25 years ago at one of the oldest shops in good old Albuquerque. It was Cycle Cave on Menual BLVD. The owner had a bmx tire with a thorn proof tube he used a 2x4 with nails about 5 of them protruding out of it. He would puncture the said tire in front of customers. spin it the holes would seal up instantly proof by even soap and bubbles.... Do we need a video? My goodness!

I USE NO TIRE LINERS..

Last edited:
Hey mate, I got on to this stuff called tire weld years ago, I dont even carry a pump or patches anymore for long bicycle tours. Only a can of this stuff, get it at supercheap auto etc.

re: goatherder. That is interesting about "living on a bike". Please PM me about what gears you use for "touring". I am curious if you use a small road triple or just MTB gears and a corncob cassette.

I'm still sold on the super thick tubes.

I like the story about the BMX owner demonstrating the slime.

I think Slime works in tube&tire applications. I tried it in a 4 wheeler (ATV) tire before and it just blew the goo everywhere and went flat with a tire cut about 3/4 cm long.

I don't see why the tire patches can't adhere if you save the tube and use a little grinding wheel to scuff the rubber clean, like you do for automotive tire patches.

Ps the "paper tubes" that you don't like are great spares! You can get them behind any bike shop for free, patch 1 or 2 thorn flats in most of them, like new! Pull the valve out a minute, and roll them up, tape them rolled up, and save a handful in a ziplock bag or seat bag.

I luckily live where I don't get many flats, but I finally used up the last of my Autozone patch kit. lol. It came in a yellow tube, with a scuffer made on the lid, and a huge square patch that I cut down with scissors for bicycle tube sizes. The glue dried up before I used it all, there were so many patches!

Last edited:
If you road around where these Goatheads are you would not be playing with paper thin tubes! For long.. Slime is slime patch away all ya want its not gonna stick or hold..

http://www.rei.com/product/639494

I think I got this one it was the smallest tightest one I could find back when I bought my cassette. 52 front cog always rain wind or snow...

I mentioned my experience with slime because it worked I don not experiment or have any probs what so ever!

HOLY SMOKES. Either you are pulling my leg (I think so!) or you have tree trunk legs and iron will. I wouldn't ride only a 52t front with a corncob pipe on the lightest of road bikes with 650 wheels!

And you run this on a MTB with slime tubes? I think you're kidding. :giggle:

Well if you are you have me fooled now. I guess if you motor all the time and its flat where you live, you can actually use that.

Last edited:
Back