Are spokes strong enough or get a hub kit?

H

highrider

Do many people encounter a broken spokes with their 2 stroke 'ebay' type motors or is it worth getting a hub kit where the sprocket is attached to the hub rather than the spokes?:confused:

As long as you have thick spokes the mount that comes with the kit works fine. I use 12 Guage spokes on on my rear wheels, motorized or not.

At 265 lbs I find I have less wheel truing issues with the heavy spokes.

As long as you have thick spokes the mount that comes with the kit works fine. I use 12 Guage spokes on on my rear wheels, motorized or not.

At 265 lbs I find I have less wheel truing issues with the heavy spokes.
Im not exactly heavy and I broke a spoke on my a unmotorised bike going uphill, so I think my bike must be normal gauge.

I'm 155 and run a 70 CC dax up steep hills wide open with a 44 T sprocket and have yet to break a spoke....My bike is a Specialized RockHopper...Totally stock ...Well except for the engine kit! ;-)

Andrew

I wouldn't sweat it. I am 210 my bike was built in the 80s - Nishiki Colorado. My spokes are original and pretty rusted because it used to be my Trestles bike. I have yet to break a spoke and have been riding my bike pretty hard for the past 2 months. If you break a spoke, replace it or by a new set of wheels with thicker spokes.

I haven't been to Trestles in way too long.

Anyway, I'm not sure what size spokes I have. They are on my 10 year old mountain bike and are pretty corroded. I've had no spoke problems.

how do you know what gauge they are? I have a $100 wallyland MB. is there a way to measure them without a gauge?

how do you know what gauge they are? I have a $100 wallyland MB. is there a way to measure them without a gauge?

15gaw=1.8mm
14gaw=2.0mm
a micrometer is what i used.
also a 4 cross pattern is stronger then a 3 cross.

Back