Are the 4 Stoke 40 cc Huasheng heat shields nessary

Stoltzee

Local time
12:42 AM
I had to send my bike to the muffler shop to finish the project, and 2 of the mechanics mentioned concern about the heat shields on the head and exhaust. This shop's been in business for about 40 or 50 years.
Anyone have any input on the 4 stoke heat shields?

Welcome to the forum!

The GXH50/Huasheng/Titan is designed for stationary use, so they have a built-in cooling fan, the shrouds are there to help force the air through the fins for effective cooling.

Because we are using these on bicycles, you can remove the shrouds. However, be aware that doing so will void your engine warranty. If you are using box muffler, leave them on.

I had to send my bike to the muffler shop to finish the project, and 2 of the mechanics mentioned concern about the heat shields on the head and exhaust. This shop's been in business for about 40 or 50 years.
Anyone have any input on the 4 stoke heat shields?
You can take them all off with no problems.
Just don't let it sit and idle for a long time.

What kind of exhaust are you making?

Actually it's the stock one that came with the kit, but because of the big curve in the bottom frame of this Del Mar it kept the front wheel from turning. The exhaust stuck out too far, and wrapped around to the other side of the frame. I was tired and stumped, so I took it to a shop that's been around probably since the sixty's. He cut and welded in a 1 inch peace, so now I have a tiny expansion chamber, and a little shorter exhaust. I climbed a long steep hill today at just under half throttle,and never felt any lugging, and could have gunned it even faster, so it's got plenty of back pressure. Actually since it's a cruiser I could have tried a long pipe, with the same muffler. I'll try to get a pic, because I want to show the bracket he did for the muffler.

Stoltzee, I would love to see the pic when you can. I have a beach cruiser with a 4 stroke and going up a steep grade for me was effortless and yes a lot of extra torque for the task. I am thinking about running an exhaust that goes full length to the back to quiet it a little. I too am wondering about losing the shields when the warrenty is up.

I haven't been able to get any pictures yet, (I use someone else's camera, but I got a bike and an engine kit). The exhaust isn't anything fancy, and it's actually shorter now. I'm a little disapointed, but thats how it goes sometimes. These engines require a lot of back pressure to run and develope torqe ,so there's some dynamic's that have to be considered. A 1 inch pipe would look great, but would lose the back pressure. I'm toying with the idea of a welding class at the local college just to experiment with mufflers. My first experiment would be a 3/4 pipe with 2 curves along the bottom of the frame to the back, the same muffler, but a 1/2 tube out of the muffler instead of the 3/8"s one. Give it a little lower tone.
I thought muffler shops had bending equipment?

Did you trying to heat the tube first to bend it so it will miss the tire? I had to heat mine and bend mine because of the same thing, either way I am now looking to the extended exhaust for my ride. I like the idea of a professional muffler shop to do the work, I know someone who works at one and I think I'll give him the buisness and get it done without me burning myself.

The gut at the shop I went to told me they couldn't bend 3/4 inch pipe, and that heating it would still kink the pipe, which makes sense to me. He also said they didn't have 3/4 inch pipe, just 1 inch, so I said thats OK. I thought they would bend it, but all he did was cut it, turn it to the side, and weld in a 2 1/2 inch piece of 1 " pipe. Then charged me $65.00.
I've been reading some articles on exhaust systems I found here, and you can lose some of the noise by making the smaller pipe lead into a bigger pipe, so you may just want to buy one off one of these sites.

Hey is that your bike in the avatar. Kinda looks like mine. I'm getting saddlebags tomorrow.

001.jpgFirst, The guy at the shop might have been right about bending with heat. I did heat mine with a propane torch and got the clearance I needed. Yes that is my avitar. I looked at an extention that goes all the way back, the guy told me the long tube would quiet it enough to stop earitating me and the cost is about $45.00. I'm ataching the pic of my bike for you to see better. I got my saddlebags at Kmart. They are camera bags, alot cheeper than real bike saddle bags, $22.00 each.

Back