Are there alternatives to the Nirve Vintage headlamp?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Cavi Mike, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Cavi Mike

Cavi Mike Member

I just can't seem find anything else that fits the bill. Aesthetics are of utmost importance on my current chopper build but I do need function and reliability as well and the reviews on Nirve's light make it very clear to steer clear of this unit. Even if I were to replace all of its internals, they say the construction is also flimsy. I must have a headlamp that looks proper and if there is no alternative, I'm going to just buy one and keep my fingers crossed.

<
  2. Sgt. Howard

Sgt. Howard Member

What era do you seek to embrace? How do you wish it to mount? What voltage would you prefer? I've been doing a bit of R&D and have come up with some interesting ideas...
    the Old Sgt.:army:

3. Cavi Mike

Cavi Mike Member

I don't stick to any era/genre/style. If I like it and it fits aesthetically, I'll use it. My only criteria really is that it's scaled properly, I obviously don't want a 7" headlight on a bicycle. I would like it to be 6v or under, I think 4 AA batteries is sufficient for a bicycle headlight.

4. Sgt. Howard

Sgt. Howard Member

Pop a shot of the bike- I can do a 1&1/2" generic '30s to '50s style or go psudo pre-electric (think carbide/acetlyne) with a 120 lumine LED 6volt system- where do you want it to mount?
    theOld Sgt.:army:

5. Cavi Mike

Cavi Mike Member

I'm still building it so there really isn't a picture of the bike per se. Plus it's mostly disassembled. I still haven't quite decided on its final outcome, it seems to keep evolving in my head as I encounter various parts and hurdles.

I suppose you could follow the build thread located here:
    http://motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=36169

As cool as one of those acetylene lights would be, I don't think it would fit well on this bike. Regardless, it's going to mount either between the triple-trees or or just below the bottom tree depending on how long the forks end up being and which type of front-end I'm using.

6. Sgt. Howard

Sgt. Howard Member

Right- give me the diameter of the forks and distance between thereof and I'll see what I can do... either that or it will bolt onto the lower triple tree frame.

7. Cavi Mike

Cavi Mike Member

1-1/4" dia
    4-7/8" on center

8. Sgt. Howard

Sgt. Howard Member

How would you feel about bolting a perfect 'Chrome Bullet' to the lower crossbar? I have found the housing, now searching the LED(s) to do the deed with. Pretty sure I can keep it 6 volt. Fully adjustable.

9. Cavi Mike

Cavi Mike Member

Perfect? Do you mean no flare, no shield? If so, I like the way that sounds. Shoot me a sketch or image of what you're talking about if possible. I probably will mount it directly to the bottom tree, it would be a cleaner install.

10. Sgt. Howard

Sgt. Howard Member

Everyone will benefit here on this= our favorite junkie, wallywurld, has a serise of fog lights that go for $20 per pair (read- $10 per light) that come in three flavors- black bullet with chrome rim, chrome bullet and rectangular chrome. All three mount by a single bottom bolt to a swivel- windage andelevation is easy to adjust. You could bolt it to the front brake bolt, the lower crosstree, the front of the gooseneck or the front fender, assuming you have a sturdy front fender. Perfectly sized for what we play with, sturdy enough for a car, plenty of room for the LED of your choise, water resistant, lens and reflector included. I recoment the RAYOVAC TOUGHNECK 6volt flashlight for guts- 120 lumins is pretty bright. I'm sure there are other candidates, but this sounds like a winner.
    the Old Sgt. :army:

11. Sgt. Howard

Sgt. Howard Member

and cheaper than the Nirve Headlight...

12. Cavi Mike

Cavi Mike Member

I can't find a member by the name of wallywurld.

13. birdmannn101

birdmannn101 Member

Any pictures of these lights? I am interested for my next build....Dan

14. Sgt. Howard

Sgt. Howard Member

15. Cavi Mike

Cavi Mike Member

I was afraid that's what you were talking about. I ordered something off eBay from Thailand, lets see if it gets here. I also ordered a 3W Cree LED and 3 solar cells. I'm going to make a little battery box with 4AA batteries and the solar cells on the top so hopefully I can get away with never having to charge the batteries. It's one thing I hate about my current lights, always having to recharge batteries.

16. Sgt. Howard

Sgt. Howard Member

Understood- There's been a couple of threads about tricklecharging a 6 volt system thru a 'schotsky' (sp?) diode to push an LED system, and it seems like they work... I have recently found a site where there's an article regarding the mathmatics involved in creating an LED light system (Pipe Bomb Bikes). My major malfunction was finding a decent housing for the headlight, something fairly sturdy with a reflector onboard- THAT's where the driving lights come in handy. I'm also creating a switch that activates with your brake cable to trigger brakelights as well as a low-profile rocker for turn signals, ie a full-service vehicular light system that recharges it's own battery. There is a great deal of discussion regarding the potential to damge batteries through over-charging... seems the system has to be built first before we can determine the extent of the threat mostly because the output of the white wire is a bit... flaky... but we shall see.

17. Cavi Mike

Cavi Mike Member

18. Cavi Mike

Cavi Mike Member

The headlight came in the mail a couple weeks ago but I didn't get to work on it until tonight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It needed a bit of trimming to get it to fit together properly but overall I'm happy with it. The tongue-and-groove at the top needed to be shaved a bit with an Xacto knife and there are some funny bits of molding sticking out into the area where the lens fits, preventing it from seating.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I heavily modified this light using a Luminus SST-50 LED and the guts from a Black & Decker spotlight.

[​IMG]

It's pretty bright. I might mess around with it to give it more of a flood type beam instead of a spot but we'll see how I feel once I'm actually on the road using it.

[​IMG]

19. Sgt. Howard

Sgt. Howard Member

Let there be light!:army:

20. happyjourney

happyjourney Member

i'm glad i saw this post and now i want one of those lights. there cheap but look good. i want to know how to modify the light to wire up an led. i wish somebody would do a youtube video of that. did you install an orange lens?