are there any good head light kits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer the simpler solutions in life...
A really good way of mounting flashlights or like devices to the handlebars is to take two hose clamps and oppose them. Mount one to the bar and take the other an thread it through and use that around the light. Cheap and adjustable.
Can't believe I never thought of that before. Woulda saved me $40+ on this narrow beamed Cateye EL530 I bought.

You can get some really bright AA lights these days cheap and with rechargeable batteries the cost is all upfront.
So very true. I bought a Coast brand 3-LED light using 1-AA battery from WalMart a year or two ago... and that thing is bright!! I never had to replace the battery, but the switch got stuck in it. I went back to WalMart yesterday looking for another one from that brand, but they didn't have a single one. Perhaps the switch issue wasn't the only quality problem, but I don't care... I'm in love with those Coast flashlights. I'm prolly gonna buy 3 or 4 of 'em now. I bought this one, but they have others that weren't available at WalMart before. I'll prolly contact them tomorrow and ask for more details on what would be best.

Before I motored my SA7, I had a 6v generator set, I kept it for awhile, but as mentioned by others, these generators do not stand up to motored speed. However, the headlight is still useable. The bulb that comes witht he kit is not very durable, however.

My solution was to go to Radio Shack and purchase a #48 6.3v 250mA bulb. The white wire can handle up to a 3watt bulb. Since "volts x amps = watts", the #48 is a 1.575 watt bulb. Easy to start motor even with headlight switch on. These bulbs are $1.99 for two and much more durable than the cheapie that comes with a 6v generator set.

Hope this helps somebody!

*Used Bigwheel's simple headlight method*

A really good way of mounting flashlights or like devices to the handlebars is to take two hose clamps and oppose them. Mount one to the bar and take the other an thread it through and use that around the light. Cheap and adjustable.

You can get some really bright AA lights these days cheap and with rechargeable batteries the cost is all upfront.

YES! I thought... FINALLY someone has come up with a simple method! So I went to Wallyworld last night and used two hose clamps to connect my new 2D Maglite ($16) and it doesn't work too bad! :) (see pics below) I even went by a police car here in town at around 2 a.m. and he didn't even flinch. :cool:

I think the Maglite should last: it's aluminum, sturdy, shock-resistant, and even has a lifetime warranty. I've even thought of getting another one as a "low beam."

Today I figured out the slipping problem by using electrical tape under the clamps both on the handlebar and the Maglite. I'll be easily SEEN, but I won't be doing a lot of SEEING on a moonlit road (critters and housepets :eek:). I did see tonight, though, that if I have the beam pointed more upwards & more level with the road, I can illuminate street signs 1+ block away...

Since it's not an LED bulb (those were $33 for the same size) it's not super bright, it's more of a safety measure than anything. I'd realllly like a super-duper one, BUT I just can't see spending $100+ for a headlight system...YET!

Attachments

• 5.31.08.new.bike.headlight 002.jpg
    5.31.08.new.bike.headlight 002.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 391
  • 5.31.08.new.bike.headlight 001.jpg
    5.31.08.new.bike.headlight 001.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 388
Last edited:
I'd say my lighting system was around $100 to build myself but it includes a rechargable SLA, Halogen headlight on dimmer, LED Taillight/brake light, brake levers with switches, a power meter, plate light, a couple LED all-time running lights and all the wiring, connectors and switches to go along with it. This may be overkill for some people but where I live the roads are pitch black at night and I need most of the other lighting accessories to be street legal in my area. Most if not all of these parts needed to do a FULL lighting system can be found at http://www.electricscooterparts.com I've bought stuff from them several times and have been pleased with their products every time. Shipping takes awhile to the north east since I think they're located in southern California. Other than that great stuff for pretty much one stop shopping for electrical components.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back