Are Tires Woven with Steel Threads?

inspectorcritic

Local time
3:17 PM
I keep on getting flats by tiny little steel threads looks like one strand off a cable, just got another one today.

This one was so small you could thread though the eye of a needle. The work the rubber back forth to let the air out the green slime snot will not seal it. So where in f*** do they come from? Is it in the rubber tire cause that defects and breaks? How come they are on the road if not where does the debris come from off what?

Get youself a pair of kevlar liners...... kevlar liners & slime tubes = no more flats.

When you take your tire apart before you put the tire/tube and rim back together you should always at the very least rub you hand on the inside of the tire to feel for something sharp you should also check the rim for sharp bits on where the spokes attach to the rim also check the rubber protector that's on the rim.

I usually also wash the inside of the tire with hot soapy water and spray it with something like a garden hose to force out any crap that might be there and then dry it the best I can with cloth/rag that absorbs water, something similar to a bath towel usually an old chopped up sweater works good too -- Never throw out you old cloths chop them up and use them as rags even old crappy thin cotton t-shirts come in handy once in a while.

I do not do the cleaning method if it's a new tire but I do inspect it with my eyes to make sure nothing is in there and if your using an old tube wash that with hot soapy water, You probably really need a new tire if you actually think there is metal wires in there even though I don't think there is unless it said it on the package when you bought it.

Last edited:
I keep on getting flats by tiny little steel threads looks like one strand off a cable, just got another one today.

This one was so small you could thread though the eye of a needle. The work the rubber back forth to let the air out the green slime snot will not seal it. So where in f*** do they come from? Is it in the rubber tire cause that defects and breaks? How come they are on the road if not where does the debris come from off what?

Small strands of wire can come from wire wheels or wire brushes, Maybe their staples. Do you ride by industrial areas, machine or automotive shops?

Kevlar tires will probably prevent them from puncturing your tubes

I recommend spending the extra cash for good tires, most bicycle tires are not designed for motor powered bikes. Tires on MBs go faster, get hotter and become softer and more susceptible to puncture. I'm using Schwalbe Big Apple Race Guard Tires 26x2.125 with regular tubes and I stopped getting flats all the time. They are expensive, shop around, you can find deals.

or......if you got no money......you can always try duct tape on the inside of your tires.

Last edited:
I've also had a flat by these and my friend has had 2 flats from these "wire strands" on his pedal bike as well. I'm fairly certain they are actually out of extremely badly worn or blown car and truck tires. They are from steel belted tires. They are sharp, they'll poke right through your skin into your bone fast.

Ok warn tires.
I also inquire about using gorilla glue for patching because my patches don't hold s**t and will blow off.
Has anyone tried gorilla glue with success?
I think I will ignore the patch instruction and apply the patch before it dries cuz it don't make any damn sense.

I have tried shoe goo it's flexible but that won't work either.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210311-123627.png
    Screenshot_20210311-123627.png
    266.7 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Back