Are we looking at just another "gimmick" here?

Theirs was a different concept...One plug was for the intake and one plug was for the exhaust...DAMIEN

The 2.3 L engine is a 4-cylinder engine that takes 8 spark plugs. Four are used on the intake side to ignite the fuel, and four are used on the exhaust side to ignite the vapors before they are released as exhaust fumes.
I repeat, if it was a sound design all would be doing it with gov mandates on increased mpg/emissions rules. They're trying everything to accomplish this. From 3 cyl motors to turbos installed on most motors, decreasing weight etc. My opinion.

I repeat, if it was a sound design all would be doing it with gov mandates on increased mpg/emissions rules. They're trying everything to accomplish this. From 3 cyl motors to turbos installed on most motors, decreasing weight etc. My opinion.
Saw my first 3cyl turbo engine last week on my fleet's new escape, I'm not opposed to 3 bangers because they can sound really good and make decent power.

Turbos do allow engines to burn more cleanly below WOT, problem is these tiny engines are tuned to the ragged edge and are not going to put up with lack of maintenance, yet manufacturers give them 10,000mile intervals, but they only want you to get past your warranty and that's it.

I always recommend 5K oil changes.

Dodge got popular with the dual spark setup, but it was a crude way of reducing emissions, newer designs use one plug fired multiple times, some injection systems can fire 5 pulses and with a Fiat engine, use hydraulic valves that can open and close multiple times.

Modern gas engines are remarkably clean burning.

Saw my first 3cyl turbo engine last week on my fleet's new escape, I'm not opposed to 3 bangers because they can sound really good and make decent power.

Turbos do allow engines to burn more cleanly below WOT, problem is these tiny engines are tuned to the ragged edge and are not going to put up with lack of maintenance, yet manufacturers give them 10,000mile intervals, but they only want you to get past your warranty and that's it.

I always recommend 5K oil changes.

Dodge got popular with the dual spark setup, but it was a crude way of reducing emissions, newer designs use one plug fired multiple times, some injection systems can fire 5 pulses and with a Fiat engine, use hydraulic valves that can open and close multiple times.

Modern gas engines are remarkably clean burning.
Also be aware that oil changes with any turbo equipped motor, it is critical that after the oil is changed, that the motor needs to be cranked without starting the engine for at least 5 or 10 seconds in order for the oil to get where it needs to get to within the turbo, (priming the turbo), or eventual turbo damage and leakage will result.

Many so-called mechanics as well as "oil change jockey's" at quick lube shops are unaware of this and just start them up, bypassing this very necessary step of turbo priming to protect the turbo from this kind of damage which results in expensive turbo leakage, repair, and/or replacement.

Ps...I also agree with every 5k for oil changes on turbo equipped vehicles and you should always use synthetic oil with a turbo as well...better lubing and cooling capabilities and usually always recommended on turbo equipped vehicles.

Also be aware that oil changes with any turbo equipped motor, it is critical that after the oil is changed, that the motor needs to be cranked without starting the engine for at least 5 or 10 seconds in order for the oil to get where it needs to get to within the turbo, (priming the turbo), or eventual turbo damage and leakage will result.

Many so-called mechanics as well as "oil change jockey's" at quick lube shops are unaware of this and just start them up, bypassing this very necessary step of turbo priming to protect the turbo from this kind of damage which results in expensive turbo leakage, repair, and/or replacement.

Ps...I also agree with every 5k for oil changes on turbo equipped vehicles and you should always use synthetic oil with a turbo as well...better lubing and cooling capabilities and usually always recommended on turbo equipped vehicles.
Fortunately most modern engines are designed to hold some oil for the turbo to quickly prime after an oil change and almost always have the oil filter situated so you can fill it so everything isn't starving for oil the first few seconds.

Of course there are exceptions but I don't hold a oil change monkey accountable for not knowing them, it's up to the owner to share that info.

However I hold an oil change monkey accountable for not filling oil/fuel filters before starting the engine, that's basic procedure- and as a former Walmart TLE monkey, it was a common occurrence (and dry-boning oil filter gaskets)

What I've seen wreck turbos the most is shutting it off immediately after jumping off the highway, that oil cokes up and messes up the bearings.
And believe it or not idling and babying ruins anything with a VGT turbo.

Again, modern vehicles are often equipped with electronic coolant pumps to alleviate coking issues, and VGT's use engine off cycling.

But no matter what, they are only Band-Aids to poor habits.

Yes Wyvern, that was big problem with the introduction of turbos in autos and light trucks. Turbo oil starvation on shut down. They have come a long ways since then but as you say, running full tilt then shut down is not good.
Heavy equipment has a warning to idle the engine for 15 minutes before shut down to allow the turbo to spool down.

Zeda 80 has recently come out with its "Pro" edition,

2 spark plugs with a dual spark CDI unit.

I'm looking for the more experienced one's here in the forums to tell me if i'm right or wrong in suspecting this is just another "gimmick" like so many other things that have been "offered" 2 stroke users over the years claiming more torque and better high end speed etc. etc. etc. "ad nauseam".

I cannot see how you achieve much better spark when your still working off the same basic magneto's supplying electrical power to the dual spark CDI unit...I suspect that the spark would actually be weaker between 2 plugs rather than just one.
(It is the very same "improved", "upgraded", magneto that comes with the regular, stock Zeda 80, single spark plug kit)

So what do you more experienced folks that have either played with these or know the basic theory or practical application behind this possible "innovative" design have to say about these things that seems to be abounding as of late???...Just more "snake oil"???...Any "Myth Busters" here???...lol...TY...DAMIEN
I have the dual sparkplug head. It's really a PITA. Primarily because it has a very narrow squish gap clearance. And without short threaded spark plugs you're going to be slamming your piston on the heads of the plugs. The only other way around this is to pull an aditional washer and place them on each plug. You're better with a Catnip CDI or the BBR tuning labeled one. I ditched it because it's not better than a better cdi and extra wound magneto. Intresting thoery but made not much of preformance gain in speeds. Response was a tad better from a stock head. But not good as an upgraded cdi n my opnion and experiment.

I have better fire response and fuel burn and oil transfer with a good ngk and cdi. Screw this head. I have it if you'd like to try one. Their pretty cheap. Managed to find on amazon witht he cdi for 20 and plugs. The plugs had to be replace. I wound up just using stock Z4C.

Back