Are we looking at just another "gimmick" here?

It's not a gimmick, it's just completely useless on our small cylinders that never reach 20,000 feet. Now it may be worth while with another magneto and coil, etc, as we are approaching cruising altitude, but I haven't build my CG plane yet. Well that an my CG plane is going to be limited to a few feet off the ground if I ever build it. I have no wish to fall from heaven, I spent so long digging myself up from hell it's just not going to happen.

Zeda 80 has recently come out with its "Pro" edition,

2 spark plugs with a dual spark CDI unit.

I'm looking for the more experienced one's here in the forums to tell me if i'm right or wrong in suspecting this is just another "gimmick" like so many other things that have been "offered" 2 stroke users over the years claiming more torque and better high end speed etc. etc. etc. "ad nauseam".

I cannot see how you achieve much better spark when your still working off the same basic magneto's supplying electrical power to the dual spark CDI unit...I suspect that the spark would actually be weaker between 2 plugs rather than just one.
(It is the very same "improved", "upgraded", magneto that comes with the regular, stock Zeda 80, single spark plug kit)

So what do you more experienced folks that have either played with these or know the basic theory or practical application behind this possible "innovative" design have to say about these things that seems to be abounding as of late???...Just more "snake oil"???...Any "Myth Busters" here???...lol...TY...DAMIEN
You are correct the spark will be weaker just spread out over a larger area, not really any improvement or gains here, Fred at CR Machine brought this out years ago trying to get a more complete burn but scraped it pretty quick and did a compression relief instead when no gains were found. The magneto being a single unit is fine but needs to have two cdi's being charged/saturated for full spark at each plug but then it would still act as more of a redundancy system (not as reliable) than anything.

I went down the better cdi path a few years ago, I managed to make a couple that worked. The advantage I got was only a couple of mph, the drawback was it looked like a kid made it. After I figured it out I switched back to the stock cdi.
1637626592249.png

Jim Wilson at Pedal Chopper still is messing around with this idea but uses two cdi's, I see no point in this myself because if your setup is correct the burn is fine in making power as many have proved over the years, and if you are running with a modded engine and true tuned pipe that whole setup relies on the fact the there is unburned charge expelled then returned via the pipe so not sure what they are really going for here!

I went down the better cdi path a few years ago, I managed to make a couple that worked. The advantage I got was only a couple of mph, the drawback was it looked like a kid made it. After I figured it out I switched back to the stock cdi.
I found it cheaper, easier, and less costly just to retard the timing with a star washer and lock in in place with a flat washer on top. Those expensive $175 cdi's they make from the tiger guy, my washers do the same thing for less than a fifty cent album, and around 50 cents total cost. I'll stick to the less than a dollar route to get my results.

I was going to add the second hole could be used for a pressure release, but who really goes that far with compression but maybe once or twice when building these.
Fred was trying some 5cc heads at the time and same thing not worth it so the smallest he made was 5.5cc unless it was special ordered.

What I found was if It could help top end, the low end would suffer, what is needed is some type of advance system.

Back