Argh! 4-Stroke frame mount availability frustration

The most recent blurb I read from Dax on the frame mount was maybe available for sale by next Spring?

ocscully

I probably won't be hurting for money as bad by then. Still, I was planning on commuting with this thing, and I'm SOL for now. I have to pedal to the train station, and then sit on the train for an hour. I'd rather just spend 30-45 minutes on a MB.

I'd go for a 2-stroke engine, but there's a few things holding me back. I don't like having to mix oil for my snowblower, so I really wouldn't like to do it on the bike. And the centrifugal clutch is a big selling point for me. Also, my commute is 12 miles and even though that's not very far, it's a long way to pedal a heavy bike if it breaks down.

Hough you have the 2 components together right? gxh50 and grubee gear. if Im not mistaken, they fit perfect. did you use most of the parts in the kit and just replace motor?

Im alittle confused here. i search for 4 stroke kit and in most pics i dont see a grubee gearbox. do i need to purchase the gearbox alone? or the gearbox comes with a generic 4 stroke motor and if i wanted to mate it up with a gxh50, then i would have to purchase the gxh50.

The importer of the Grubee 4-stroke kits bicycle-engines.com offerd the kit with the Chinese copy/clone motor and also as an installation kit everything but the motor. They also offered the Gear box as a seperate item. They currently seem to be out of all of these items, and the latest I've read here it seems they don't expect to have them until Sept. There is a company called bikekitsdirect.com that has the clone 4-stroke motor with the Hoot Gearbox available. But several members have had problems with the Clutchesof these kits as well as they seem to have a tendency to shear the drift key on the output shaft of the motor. These kits do come with the wide 3-piece crankset though. Which I believe is what you will need for your MP

(CORRECTION)
I just looked at the photos of the Felt MP and I'm incorrect about the need for 3-piece crankset for this bike. They come with the one piece crankset.

ocscully

Last edited:
ocscully: was planning the grubee kit w/o motor. you think ill have a prob with using the crank? think i would need to purchase a completely separate crank assy?

ocscully: was planning the grubee kit w/o motor. you think ill have a prob with using the crank? think i would need to purchase a completely separate crank assy?

Originally I thought that Felt was using the smaller european bottom brackets on their frames and you would need the optional 3-piece crankset. But I was wrong after rechecking the photos of the MP at the Felt site I realized my error and added the correction to the previous post. The kit comes standard with the one piece wide crankset and you will be fine with it.

ocscully

What's needed are more suppliers that offer options like Bicycle-Engines.Com almost have but still not quite. There should be exhaust options, crankset options (the 3 piece is really bad with no bearings supplied), tank size options, sprocket size options with 52T the largest, dual brake lever options(the ones I have just received are totally useless), gearbox options although who'd want a Hoot?, freewheel sprocket options although the Hoot has no room to fit a freewheel cos the space is too tiight. All this sort of stuff is what is needed and who cares if it costs another $50 if we don't have to look at all that cheap HT crud that most kits throw in. I have boxes full of the extras that are unuseable.

great vendor idea, but really, how many people out there ride motorized bikes. i mean that are willing to tinker and put one together. would be so much easier for someone to just buy a moped or scooter. but then again if there werent, i wouldnt be waiting for restock on a gearbox either. hmmmm.

great vendor idea, but really, how many people out there ride motorized bikes. i mean that are willing to tinker and put one together. would be so much easier for someone to just buy a moped or scooter. but then again if there werent, i wouldnt be waiting for restock on a gearbox either. hmmmm.

Staton, Dax etc all work hard to take out the silly bits of kit that insult buyers. why can't the big suppliers of Grubee kits do the same and tell the factories to keep their chains, pet cocks, bolts, studs etc. and use native US bits and pieces to offer a decent kit at a higher price. I know the answer cos I've spoken with Chinese factories and unless you have a gun you might as well howl at the moon! 3 gunboats up the Yangtse and one battalion of Ghurkas is all I require!

"I know the answer cos I've spoken with Chinese factories and unless you have a gun you might as well howl at the moon! 3 gunboats up the Yangtse and one battalion of Ghurkas is all I require!"
I am an ex-pat working in China, I assure you that this is the wrong approach. Suggest a few key improvements at a time, as the Chinese say "step by step".

"I know the answer cos I've spoken with Chinese factories and unless you have a gun you might as well howl at the moon! 3 gunboats up the Yangtse and one battalion of Ghurkas is all I require!"
I am an ex-pat working in China, I assure you that this is the wrong approach. Suggest a few key improvements at a time, as the Chinese say "step by step".

You're quite right Phil. I know it makes sense. That's why I'm an ex ex-pat I suppose.

Back