Ask the Experts......... [bicycle history]

hey Rif, or anybody....
do you happen to know who built the "Flying O" for OTASCO? (Oklahoma tire & supply co.)

Last edited:
By recommendation...

I've moved my question -> What is it and what...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...is the best way to motorize this baby? I like the idea of a driven tire and am curious as to the pro's and con's of this method versus the chain driven ones. Serial number appears to be P489531, found on the frame near the rear hub.

Please accept my apologies in advance if this is too trite or naive.

Thanks, himmelberg

Attachments

• more cute dog pics 008.jpg
    more cute dog pics 008.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 709
hey guys,
old lady across the street just gave me a ladies bike, three speed. the badge on the head tube says "EAGLE DE LUXE CYCLE" and on the seat post tube it says "THE EAGLE BICYCLE DE LUXE" the serial # is 24171 on the seat tube. can anyone tell me a little about this bike? it has some realy cool fenders but there to narrow 1 3/8" tire.
thanks,
hill climber

I've moved my question -> What is it and what...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...is the best way to motorize this baby? I like the idea of a driven tire and am curious as to the pro's and con's of this method versus the chain driven ones. Serial number appears to be P489531, found on the frame near the rear hub.

Please accept my apologies in advance if this is too trite or naive.

Thanks, himmelberg

It is a middleweight from what I can see,
The chainring is old western flyer, but the dropouts aren't Murray, or Huffy. They look like Schwinn style dropouts, but the stamped/crimped connection points are definately NOT schwinn; It's not Colson Evans... It looks so familiar... The points at the lower cantilever tubes, the squared off down tube; It almost looks like my broken Coast King (Coast to Coast hardware stores) frame but I really can't say fer sure who manufactured it. Anyone else?

Rif, I think the frame was made for Western Auto by AMF (Roadmaster), as several key features are identical to my late '50s Roadmaster middleweight that I converted to a ballooner. The bent fork definitely is a result of an irresisible force meeting an immovable object.
But this is only one part of his question. Himmelberg also asked what the best way to motorize it would be, and with that, I'll say that you ask ten people and you're likely to get ten different answers.
To start, there are a number of very popular options available. The type of bicycle motor a major part of the members either use or have used is the simple 2-stroke frame mount engine colloquially known here as the "Happy Time". There are varying grades of this engine (quality-wise) as well as two primary displacements: 48cc (cometimes called 50cc) and 67cc (frequently called 70cc and even 80cc). They are relatively inexpensive, and they are also not usually the longest lasting either. There are exceptions, however...
Rack mount engine kits have become very popular as well, and Golden Eagle (GEBE) and DAX's Titan have proven to be very reliable and have a strong following. There are others out there as well, but I just mentioned the two I'm most familiar with.
Of course, there are more than the few options I just mentioned. Take some time to peruse the rack mount and frame mount forums to decide what might suit you best. Do your research, and you're bound to be happy with the outcome.

Last edited:
Yea I was thinking it looked like a Murry or amf. Definitly do you're researce and find the kit that you feel comfortable in you're abilities to install and maintane. My first motorized bike was a Schwinn that I turned into a boardtracker with the happy time motor.I learned allot with that bike Then Moved up to a modified Reproduction Whizzer NE-5.

Thanks, fellas. I've got a lot of info to do a bit of research with and will bring back an answer when I find one. Never imagined the depth and breadth of the bicycle thing. This is gonna be fun.

appreciatively, himmelberg

It Doesn't have the typical pointed Murray dropouts, so yeah I'll roll with AMF... As far as motorizing: There's so many different options out there, that I'll agree totally with Kilroy- read, read, read. Just peruse the different areas of the forum, look at the pictures, see what the positive and negative aspects of each set-up might be. Understandably, price is also a consideration, and also your frame size as some kits may require more modifications than others to get you motyorvating down the road...
Really only you can decide what might be right for you.
Rif:helmet:

Back