At my wits end.

Tdsj81

Local time
6:12 AM
This would normally be a short question. But going to add the back story to why I'm here. I've visited
Gasbike.net
Bikeberry
Kingsmotored bikes
And spookytoothcycles. "Out of business from what I see"
I have a standard beach cruiser bike with a 2stroke motor on it. Was doing great for a while. Until I abruptly took off and bent the motor sprocket "more like warped it" ok try to make this short. From what I understand I want a cnc or bbr sprocket+adapter that has a 1.5 inch OD. And I also need 2 wheels since my bearings have been neglected (sorry). But everywhere I go I can't seem to match a wheel set or even just the rear wheel that has a single sprocket on the bike side that has a 1.5 inch hub. I think I can deal with 14g spokes but would prefer 12g. Also bikebberry and gasbike are out of the adapter+sprocket. And most wheels I come across are listed as 26x1.75 or something instead of 26x1.5 am I right that the 1.5 in that is for the hub? Or is that for the tire? Non of these dedicated bike sites seem to make this straight forward for us noobs. Gotta start somewhere right? But also ok let's say I get a 26x1.75 the only adapter+sprocket that comes close to fitting that is the ones they have listed as 1.8 inch. So to me that would imply that it would leave space on all these standard 1.75 inch hubs and be able to still spin freely on the hub. Take it easy on me. This might be second nature for you. But I'm just getting into this and my bike is on its last wheel "front" literally since the back is shot. So all in all I need to find a place that at very least has a rear wheel with coaster brake and an adapter kit to work with it and what else I need to complete the new setup like a 415 motor chain etc. And no I'm not yelling at anyone here. I know you guys aren't affiliated with these bike companies. Oh and hi I'm Troy!

A 26” x 1.75” wheel is referring to tire width. Hub sizes are not usually announced anywhere; you need to measure their outside diameter.

I do think you can find 1.5” hub adapters (I’ll be looking for one soon) but, if you are absolutely stuck, by the biggest you can find and carefully grind out the circular hub gripping part until you get a good grip on your too big hub.

If you can find a friendly, old-style bicycle shop--that is, one that has been in business for a long time, has some kids' bikes hanging around, and isn't obsessed with the Tour de France, they may be able to give you some practical advice. The old guys know just about every wheel and tire that was ever manufactured.

If your wheels are equipped with sealed ball-bearing units you can replace these. If they're old-fashioned cone-and-cup bearings you can get new cones and balls. If all else fails you can buy new hubs and build your own wheels, which isn't nearly as difficult as many would have you believe. In that case you'll be able to find a hub that will fit your new sprocket adapter, buy it and the heavy spokes you want and a suitable spoke wrench and, with the aid of a bicycle repair book available at your local library, learn to build your own wheels. Again, it's a rather straightforward task.

The point is that bicycles were designed so that the rider can repair them. If you can repair a bicycle, you can repair a motorized bike, and thus be empowered.

Mark Kinsler

This would normally be a short question. But going to add the back story to why I'm here. I've visited
Gasbike.net
Bikeberry
Kingsmotored bikes
I have a standard beach cruiser bike with a 2stroke motor on it. Was doing great for a while. Until I abruptly took off and bent the motor sprocket "more like warped it" ok try to make this short. From what I understand I want a cnc or bbr sprocket+adapter that has a 1.5 inch OD. And I also need 2 wheels since my bearings have been neglected (sorry). But everywhere I go I can't seem to match a wheel set or even just the rear wheel that has a single sprocket on the bike side that has a 1.5 inch hub. I think I can deal with 14g spokes but would prefer 12g. Also bikebberry and gasbike are out of the adapter+sprocket. And most wheels I come across are listed as 26x1.75 or something instead of 26x1.5 am I right that the 1.5 in that is for the hub? Or is that for the tire? Non of these dedicated bike sites seem to make this straight forward for us noobs. Gotta start somewhere right? But also ok let's say I get a 26x1.75 the only adapter+sprocket that comes close to fitting that is the ones they have listed as 1.8 inch. So to me that would imply that it would leave space on all these standard 1.75 inch hubs and be able to still spin freely on the hub. Take it easy on me. This might be second nature for you. But I'm just getting into this and my bike is on its last wheel "front" literally since the back is shot. So all in all I need to find a place that at very least has a rear wheel with coaster brake and an adapter kit to work with it and what else I need to complete the new setup like a 415 motor chain etc. And no I'm not yelling at anyone here. I know you guys aren't affiliated with these bike companies. Oh and hi I'm Troy!

Hi Troy,

Thing is, depending on what kind of freewheel or freehub gearing your wheel has, ( 6 to 11 gears nowadays..) you can have a variety of axle widths, which is the distance over the locknuts on the rear axle. This is the only measurement that matters, as it will decide what sort of freewheel or freehub your bike has and what sort of wheel you can buy to replace it. Generally 6 to 8 speeds have 126mm over locknut length. You can force in a wider wheel set but it makes changing tires and doing routine maintenance a bigger pain because you will need extra hands to spread the dropouts to fit a 130mm over locknut hub, ( again generally used in 9 to 11 cogged freehubs and not normally used on entry level bikes.) It sounds like you wish to use a 'rag-joint' sprocket mount, be aware that with cheap wheels, especially ones that aren't hand built you run the risk of spoke breakage at the hub's spoke flange.

Gasbike.net
Bikeberry
Kingsmotored bikes
Try your local bicycle shops I go to REI they have huge books of any part you can image and there real good at fetching them in 24hrs very next day they got it they have a delivery truck from Denver cruises to town everyday no 2 week ship it in the mail and no shipping fee its free.

Back