Ataching fenders to Sunlite springer forks

• Thread starter Deleted member 25783
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25783

I am in the midst of a Sportsman Flyer 80 build, and killing time by completing some details while waiting for the reduction drive system. I bought a set of 26" fenders from Wald, and I must say they are very high quality. They put Huffy fenders to shame as well they should.
I am hoping there are some forumites who have attached fenders to Sunlite springer forks. If you would be so kind as to post photos and or recommend hardware to facilitate this combination please do.
So far the only example I have found is a photo posted on Pat Dolan's flicker account. Sadly not the best photo.
Tom from Rubicon,WI

I put a set of fenders on mine that were pretty wide. Made the mistake of bending in the area of the fender that was contacting the rear springer tube when I should have pushed the tube out a bit with a bottle jack. You can't see my mistake unless you get really close but I know it's there. Bugs me that I did that. Oh well. I had to use two huge zip ties to attach the top part of the fender to the springer fork.

Nothing to it.

2_Emerald2L-1280.jpg

Just attach the fender to front moving fork.

KC, no fender stays. There plenty of examples from the early 1900's with full fenders, but not too many of this century. I think I have it figured out, but am still hoping to have forumites with current examples of full fenders incorporated with Felt/ Sunlite springer forks. For me, the biggest question is how much travel does this springer really have.
Numbers game as usual, which so far empirical data is lacking. Oh well.
Tom from Rubicon,WI

You can attach a fender with front attachments to the axle, but unlikely you will get the back ones through the back fork so only a 3 point mount.

As mentioned in my last post, the early 1900's provide examples of how to deal with attaching fender stays to the leading link. And then there were examples more in the 1940's where with deep fenders they were attached to the steering fork.
Sunlites don't offer that solution nor do the fenders. So I first made a front fender stay link of 1/16 SS with hole spacing's
on 1" center to center. Using the same attachment point for the rear stay as KCvale has said would conflict with the steerer forks, and it does. So I next made a set of SS links tied to the front stay links with a hole spacing of 1 1/4" C to C
attaching the rear stays to it. I also mounted the top fender attachment to the rear side of the sprung fork spacing it back with a 1/4" nylon saddle. I will post photos of the individual components soon. I am waiting for a order of Sturmey Archer axel nuts. Just for the record they are 13/32-26 tpi. Not a hardware store item. Correction, the axle thread of this XL-FD is m9x1.0.
upload_2017-2-20_18-19-9.png

The links are not adjusted yet so there should be another 1/8 to 3/16 clearance of the steerer fork. This is a good example of clearing the steerer fork.
http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/pictures/1913-racycle/#.WLIYLfWcG1s

Last edited by a moderator:
Back