Attention Canadians !!!

bgoates

Local time
8:57 PM
The following is an Email I wrote to Alberta Transportation and their reply. It would appear that motorized kit bicycles have been made illegal not only in Alberta but throughout Canada via Transport Canada regulations and definitions. I urge all Albertans and Canadians to express their disapproval to the MLA'a and MP's and request the appropriate legislation be amended to allow motorized kit bikes without the requirement to be licensed and insured and to be on equal footing as electric powered bicycles.

Dear Sir:

I have have recently become aware of the new legislation regarding powered assisted bicycles. See http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...PowerBikes.pdf

I applaud the elimination of the weight restrictions for electric bikes.

However, I am deeply troubled by the removal of engine driven bicycles from the definition of a power assisted bicycle to the reclassification of the same to "moped" . I am specifically referring to bicycles that have been modified with a small gasoline engine (less than 50cc) for pedal assistance, see http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/kj/...816l8l_19.jpeg. Under the previous legislation these bike did not require license or insurance. Under the new legislation they are classified as a "moped" . Therefore if one puchases a engine kit (see Zoombicycles SOLD OUT - Jet Stealth 49cc Gas Bicycle Engine Kit | Bicycle Engine Kits | RuiHong Enterprises Ltd. ) he must also do the following to meet the vehicle equipment requirements for a moped:

* Obtain a VIN (cost $52)
* install headlamps, tail lamps, signal lamps,
* install brake lamps, mirrors, and a side mirror
* pay for a mechanical inspection (more $$)
* obtain insurance (impossible)

The performance of of an 49 cc gasoline engine driven power assisted bicycle is no different from that of a 500 watt electric bicycle (I know because I have both). It is clear that the electric bicycle lobby was influential in this legislation at the expense of the engine driven bicycle community. It is also interesting to not that the picture of the bike on the left of the official Alberta Government webpage http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...PowerBikes.pdf depicts a gasoline engine powered bike (Revopower see RevoPower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) which does not meet the moped vehicle equipment requirements. Clearly the legislators don't no what the **** they are doing and\or have shown a blatant disregard and prejudice of gasoline engine driven power assisted bicycles.

Would you please reply to me(either via email or phone 403-328-8814) with an explanation of the rationale behind the removal of engine driven bicycles from a power assisted bicycle to the reclassification of the same to "moped" .

THEIR REPLY :

Hello Blair:

Thank you for your email of January 11, 2010 regarding mopeds.

The changes to the power bicycle and moped done this past summer were to align Alberta with Transport Canada definitions.

Transport Canada controls the import and construction of motor vehicles for sale in Canada. They also have a definition for power-assisted bicycles; Alberta has aligned with Transport Canada's definitions to stop some confusion that was occurring with vehicles sold in the province.

Limited-speed motorcycles are required to meet certain standards to be allowed in the country; once this vehicle meets these standards a label is to be applied to the vehicle signifying its compliance with federal standards. Alberta aligned the moped definition with the limited-speed motorcycle definition to clear up the discrepancies between Alberta's old definition and the federal government.

The same discrepancy was occurring with the power bicycle definition and the power-assisted bicycle definition. Transport Canada requires power-assisted bicycles to be marked with a label indicating the vehicle is a power-assisted bicycle; the federal classification only allows for electric powered vehicles. Adopting the Transport Canada definition allows Albertans to know from the federal label how the vehicle can be used in Alberta.

The previous definitions Alberta had, which allowed gas powered engines, had different criteria which involved weights. New vehicles were exceeding these weight restrictions and were falling out of their intended use because of Alberta's unique legislation.

Thank you for bringing an error with the publication to our attention we will fix this error as soon as possible. If you have any further questions please contact myself.

Chris Yanitski
Vehicle Safety E.I.T.
Alberta Transportation
chris.yanitski@gov.ab.ca:cry::cry:

"Adopting the Transport Canada definition allows Albertans to know from the federal label how the vehicle can be used in Alberta."

Perhaps the the lawmakers need more overtime. Maybe we can work on laws putting labels on hammers and wrenches so mechanics know how they are to be used.

Better yet, lets expand it further. Paper and pens need labels also, for people in offices!

Been at odds all summer with the local PD...seems to be a losing battle...got the "this is not the USA" speech a couple off times''...maybe we could move the border up about 200 miles?

I would only need it to be moved 15 miles for myself...but i feel for the rest of you to:)

Last edited:
Thats what I was always trying to tell everyone about what it is like in Victoria.

The SNARLIES are anill about ICE bikes and will throw the book at you
and you loose your bike on the spot.

I was really choked because I spent 50 years in Alberta and 3 years
after I moved here and got into MB's they were legal back home
but not in our new home province.

I think you can write letters till your blue in the face but Alberta was
the only place with different laws that I know of....Good Luck, I hope
you guys win but it won't change a thing here...Green and Clean...POPS

PS..I bought 2 Zoom 69er's for Mumzie and I so I could build a couple of
Rock hoppers for us up on the mountain trails but next year all off road
Bikes,quads,sleds,etc. have to be licenced and insured even though you can't
go on the road...TAX GRAB!!!...POPS

Last edited:
Canada is over regulated

Canadian politicians are a bunch of clowns that think the rest of us are morons and every aspect of our life must be regulated for our own safety. Very few have the balls to be independent and do the reasonable and right thing. Currently parliament is "parouged", ie the government has chosen not to show up for work...which may me a good thing.....we all know that they a good for nothing !

That's only because they are following the USA into the New World Order. They have good teachers down here! Why should they help you when it's easier to screw you and more profitable too!

That's about all I can say w/o getting in trouble here!

Canadian letter writing campaign

The potential penalty cost of operating a motor vehicle without insurance, license, headlights, tail lights,and signal lights can easily add up to thousands of dollars if I happen to get a cop who had a fight with his wife that morning or a bad cup of coffee. This is more risk than I wish to assume.

I think the only chance we have in changing this situation is a letter writing campaign to our Minister of Transportation, MP and MLA's. We need to have a few members submit template letters which can easily be cut and pasted along with a directory of MP's and MLA's email addresses. If we make it easy to do and these politicians get hundreds of letters it may make a difference.

You can start by emailing the Minister John Baird of Transport Canada at mintc@tc.gc.ca

Followup with letters to your MP and MLA....be sure to include your name and address.

Good luck !!!

Back