Attention Canadians !!!

I just spoke with a registry in Calgary and this is what I found.

Gas Motorized Bikes are Exempt from registration and no license is required (over 12yrs of age)

Specs
-49cc or less
-Must not have a clutch or gear box
-Maximum speed 32km/hr

I realize that this does not help with the bike path rules banning motorized bikes in Calgary. Also, I'm not certain if there is an insurance requirement.

If motorized bikes are exempt (given the specs above; than for the most part there shouldn't be too many issues riding on the streets, provided the speeds are reasonable.

Does anyone have further info on insurance and if it is a requirement and cost?

Thanks,

Alberta Legislation

I just spoke with a registry in Calgary and this is what I found.

Gas Motorized Bikes are Exempt from registration and no license is required (over 12yrs of age)

Specs
-49cc or less
-Must not have a clutch or gear box
-Maximum speed 32km/hr

I realize that this does not help with the bike path rules banning motorized bikes in Calgary. Also, I'm not certain if there is an insurance requirement.

If motorized bikes are exempt (given the specs above; than for the most part there shouldn't be too many issues riding on the streets, provided the speeds are reasonable.

Does anyone have further info on insurance and if it is a requirement and cost?

Thanks,

That isn't what Alberta Transportation is saying (see first post of this blog) I suspect that the registry in Calgary in not aware of the change in legislation.

People are totally confused !!

I have no doubt that Alberta Transportation considers ice bikes as mopeds and therefore requires license and insurance. I also feel that even if one gets a VIN number you will never make them CSVV compliant and able to insure and license.

I too went into my local Alberta Vehicle Registration place and was told they did not require licensing and was given an old copy of the legislation.

I live in a small Alberta tourist town in the summer and was working on my bike outside when a local RCMP officer came buy and started a conversation. He initially told me that it was a moped and required licensing and insurance. I told him about my experience at Alberta Vehicle Registration and showed him the old legislation that I was given. He told me he would look it up but wouldn't bother be riding the bike anyway.

Yesterday he dropped by with another piece of paper which was the old regulations and told me I was OK and to keep the paper for reference. So as far as I'm concerned I am safe riding in my small Alberta town but know people are getting ticketed elsewhere in Alberta.

Not fair for others....but shows how confused people are over this bicycle legislation thing ! The whole thing is so stupid ! My electric bike will outperform by motorized bike yet one is legal and they other is not.

Hate to bust yours and the RCMP guys bubble but the ICE bike is illegal in Canada. Period.

You run ac
across a savy cop and the fact that an RCMP officer gave you a piece of paper and $5 buck will buy you a coffee at Starbuck. Won't buy you sh*t in court.

As my former wife the ex cop always said, ignorance of the law is not a defence in court.
I learned that from some of the Judges I was in front of. Why? look at my name.

Steve.

Last edited:
bgoates what type of electric motor do you have? The only thing that my electric does better is take off and hill climbing. I can go just as fast on my electric as my gas, but my range suffers BIG TIME.

Fasteddy..I think I am safe,,with that Mexican family living in the back yard shed..reminds me I need to up the rent they now have electricity two times a day for a little while

Robin, Green Gordon Cambell will personally stop by and beat you with a fresh farm raised salmon then charge you HST and a 10% green tax for the service and depleting natural resources.

I want to send the MP and MLA'S a letter stuffed with Monopoly money and a note that my money used to be worth something until they got in. Now it's just play money.

The G8/G20 police would be at my door within the hour.

Steve.

Robin, Green Gordon Cambell will personally stop by and beat you with a fresh farm raised salmon then charge you HST and a 10% green tax for the service and depleting natural resources.

I want to send the MP and MLA'S a letter stuffed with Monopoly money and a note that my money used to be worth something until they got in. Now it's just play money.

The G8/G20 police would be at my door within the hour.

Steve.

I had a good laugh at that one Steve :D

Yes, that is most likely what would happen :rolleyes:

The legal situation is indeed confusing for the average joe, every time I talk to someone about my MB's I always say that they are not legal, just so they can think over real good if the really want one. Nobody ever believes me, I always get a response like "But I've seen some place in the city selling rack mount kits, surely they must be legal....but lot's of people ride those....but electrics are legal, why wouldn't gas ones be?....are you sure they aren't legal?....."

I got passed by a RCMP car when I was going up a steep hill on one of my HT bikes not long ago. Clearly it was the engine pulling me up not the pedals. He just drove by, never payed any attention to me, lucky lucky. I also live in a small town that lives mostly off of tourism in the summer (since the saw mills have closed - canfor....), maybe that has something to do with it. They don't tolerate atv's and dirt bikes going through town (even though you do see one once in a while), but the MB's they don't seem to mind at all. My old friend to whom I sold my first MB is known to the local RCMP for previous DUI's and lost licences (he currently DOES have a valid license and doesn't "dui" anymore, cost him too much $$), and even he doesn't get bothered by the police.

Back