Australia and oversized motors

Yeah Mike, that's the understanding that I'm getting: if its pedal power and has a motor
The police will hopefully accept the law as it stands and knowing full well that they can't really prove that its over 200wtts (on the spot anyways). Locally we had a few people getting busted for riding their rideon mowers, golf buggies etc on the road (could have been drunk as well) and they paid the uninsured/unregistered price. Of course, they weren't pushbikes with pedals!!

I only just ordered my 48cc from zbox. Should be here Monday. Have bought a cheapie mountain bike from Kmart. Hopefully it should fit.

PS: Will attempt to update my profile!

Yeah Mike, that's the understanding that I'm getting: if its pedal power and has a motor
The police will hopefully accept the law as it stands and knowing full well that they can't really prove that its over 200wtts (on the spot anyways). Locally we had a few people getting busted for riding their rideon mowers, golf buggies etc on the road (could have been drunk as well) and they paid the uninsured/unregistered price. Of course, they weren't pushbikes with pedals!!

I only just ordered my 48cc from zbox. Should be here Monday. Have bought a cheapie mountain bike from Kmart. Hopefully it should fit.

PS: Will attempt to update my profile!

You can try it but it's not a good idea to buy a cheap MTB from K-mart or anywhere like that.They've got the cheapest of everything and friends who have tried this have broken spokes/frames/gears/etc.Bikes wern't designed or built to have motors in them so u need a good one to handle the stress.
To see if it fits a frame mount my general rule if thumb is measure the INSIDE of the triangular frame between the crank and the seat...it should be a minimum of 36CM...ideally more cos your giving yourself more room to work for routing maintenance,but 36CM if your stuck.
Warren from ZBOX is fine and his kits good so u shouldn't have any problems there.

cheap bikes are just as described - cheap. the brakes break, the rims buckle and the ride comfort amongst other things just isnt up to it. This is important as you tend to spend a lot more time on the seat with a motored bike due to the absence of pedalling and you tend to go a lot further. Therefore i have found that spending an extra $200 on the bike which would get you into a Giant (good frame mount configuration) is very worth while. I have a 'Cell' mountain bike and it is tough with heavy duty frame and that runs the super rat motor - it is however not the most comfortable. My latest bike i fitted a 3500w pull start with auto to a Giant Hybrid - now that is a light and comfortable bike - i love it. The bike only cost $385 and the motor $200 - cant go wrong.
Also about boof heads on the road - we have a lot of guys in town who lost the license over DUI and they are a little irresponsible. One guy hit a car the other night doing 50Km/hr when the driver opend the door. The guy on the bike was drunk and when the cops arrived they gave him a breathalyser (he was also covered in blood and just about ripped his ear off) and he blew 0.225 - wow. He is a habitual alco and has lost the license several time - he said to the cops after gettng the reading "oh thats nothing - i usually blow twice that amount"? He is not a great ambassador for motored bikes!

Some brain at Melbourne Uni did the figures that suggest that 10cc equal 200 watts.

I have also considered having a sticker or badge made at an engravers and just playing dumb if the cops pull me over.

"I bought off Ebay & the bloke I bought it from said it was legal and under 200 watts"

I'd like to find a way to quiten the motor noise so as not to draw any more attention to myself than I have to.

Stink,
I wouldnt worry about it at all - the cops just arent interested unless you are riding like a jerk and they see you or your neighbors etc complain. All bikes are over the limit in reality.
Just ride and enjoy as they have other problems out there and to be honest a small motor on a bicycle isnt going to make you a public menace.
My compny is about approach the legal bod's in Australia with a new option for power ontrol which will give them exactly what they want and allow us to have some power to play with - i will keep ya all posted as this will affect the laws in the USA also.

Stink,

I think you can quieten the motors a tad by placing rubber pieces in the air fins etc. Came across this post the other day and had pics to so you get the idea (may have to search to know what I’m talking about).

Mike, are we still talking about a mod that can go onto the Chinese motors or something totally different? I was going to get on my high-horse and campaign to feds etc but if cops leave me alone, I'm not going to bring unwanted attention to me and the motorbike fraternity. I wouldn't want something like the yoyo fad happening with our bikes, otherwise you'd get every fifteen year boy out there zipping up down the streets abusing the system; opening up hold different can of worms for the pollies.

My two cents.

Watcher,

I am not sure of the yoyo fad or age groups but i am talking about a piece of tech which can be fitted to all vehicles and ensure when riding on the road that the laws are maintained even if the motor is larger than legal stipulations -ie all petrol motors. This tech will allow you however to change mode and then use full motor power in correctly designated areas - off road for instance.
All will come clear soon when we launch our new POWER CYCLE range as it comes fitted standard as the motor and performance specification on these bikes far exceeds legal limits.
Also the bikes we have developed are not in the price range of kids (maybe some - hmmm) and are serious performance based vehicles which will compliment the existing industry and offer some well needed advancements. There is a place for all types of motored bikes and we have taken the responsible view by ensuring our spec will meet with legal functionality (other manufacturers havent done that) whilst enabling high performance for racing and recreational riding. I love motorised bicycles and riding them - i have 3 of my own and have bought another custom beast recently from the USA which is being further modified (havent got it yet and cant wait) for me so i also have a vested interest in seeing that motored bikes remain pure. Factualy that is why i have gone into the manufacture arean - i want something really special for happy time!
Happy Riding
Mike

Last edited:
Back