Australia and oversized motors

Queensland and motrised bikes

Hi this is a bit straight from the queesland gov site in regards to petrol bikes. I know that a lot of people ride them but in March this year apparently queensland decided that you cant ride them on the roads !!!:yuck:

Just keep riding untill otherwize told...

Rules for motorised bicycles

A motorised bicycle is a bicycle to which an electric motor is attached. The motor must not be capable of generating more than 200 watts of power. It is illegal to ride a bicycle on roads or road-related areas (such as paths) if the bicycle has an internal combustion engine (for example, a petrol or diesel motor) attached.

Queensland Rules

I read this on Zbox the other day, Yes they have changed the rules in Queensland. Im not happy Jan

FYI

Rules for motorised bicycles

A motorised bicycle is a bicycle to which an electric motor is attached. The motor must not be capable of generating more than 200 watts of power. It is illegal to ride a bicycle on roads or road-related areas (such as paths) if the bicycle has an internal combustion engine (for example, a petrol or diesel motor) attached.

Motorised bicycles are required to adhere to the same road rules as bicycles and have the same rights and responsibilities. Motorised bicycles are exempt from registration and compulsory third party insurance.

A two-wheeled vehicle with an internal combustion engine, or an electric motor capable of generating over 200 watts, must comply with the Australian Design Rules* requirements for a motorbike if it is to be ridden on roads or road-related areas.

200 watts max with pedals and can be petrol or electric. I think no maxium then 50km.

They had a segment on TV lastnight saying how much the electric bikes were selling; the bloke can't keep up with demand and said to get more popular. But they made the point that they were over 200 watts. :)

ok, I wanted to find the moped law of 50km/hr and 50cc.
as our motors compare to really low-end mopeds
I thought it would be a good comparison.

So I searched the RTA on google and got the below document.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrat..._and_motor_assisted_pedal_cycles_nov_2007.pdf

I've not seen it mentioned anywhere else.

The way I see this document, it, 2 stroke engines are legal up to 50cc.

I'm no legal expert, but trying to lump 150 different types of bike
into three seems a tad limited, and open to interpretation.

Anyone here have an opinion on this.

Anyone know the law well enough to say we're legal under 50cc.

Attachments

• vsi_27_-_mopeds_and_motor_assisted_pedal_cycles_nov_2007.pdf
    69.5 KB · Views: 354
Back