automatic 2 gear jackshaft

My 2 cents on the whole "shifting gears is illegal" thing: the SBP shift kit is a crank assist device. It does not have shiftable gears.

The shiftable gears are part of the bicycle and are independent of the engine system. It's a shiftable bicycle with engine on or off.

If you had a shiftable jackshaft, now maybe that's different. I have never heard of anyone getting in trouble just for a shift kit.

Its legal if it’s an auto. Not a shift kit. Think nitro rc car 2-speed. 2 clutches and a freewheel. Some have 2 chains off the crankshaft, mine and OP’s have a chain going to box with 2 chains in the box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, well yeah...I'm not the kind of guy who would put a 212 - let alone a multispeed one - on a bicycle frame with semi-horizontal front-facing dropouts and then worry about such trivial things like legality. It would seem you're not, either :LOL:

The only reason I don't worry about it is because I wouldn't do it. That's basically waving 2 birdies at anything resembling sanity!

Edit:
so that's like 15mph only for 10miles? omg

I know right, I used to be happy to go that fast on a 30 mile ride growing up! Heheh

Snow is melting as new parts are arriving to my place, working now on the second version of the aluminium enclosure, the first one was too weak, this time thicker aluminium and with a square shape instead of U shape, some pics here:

I'm thinking something like that too, but machining 4" block for more meat to support the bearings, and it anchors to the seatpost

Back