automatic 2 gear jackshaft

I wonder if there's a way to do the centrifugals like yours, but be able to lock out 2nd. like if you're climbing a hill and really don't want it to upshift,, :unsure:

I wonder if there's a way to do the centrifugals like yours, but be able to lock out 2nd. like if you're climbing a hill and really don't want it to upshift,, :unsure:
I'll be satisfied if it just works... :ROFLMAO:

Really looking forward to have the time to test it out.

The Q-matic is an under-driven-clutch design but it doesn't have as much reduction before the clutch as this system does. I think the first gear will work fine, but the second gear may not engage until quite high engine speed.

Just speculation on my part ofc. Looking forward to seeing more about this!

The Q-matic is an under-driven-clutch design but it doesn't have as much reduction before the clutch as this system does. I think the first gear will work fine, but the second gear may not engage until quite high engine speed.

Just speculation on my part ofc. Looking forward to seeing more about this!
This is basically the same train of thought I am on, might be running through pads on that second clutch often. At 6970 rpm (newer huasheng's governed max rpm) you are getting 1732 rpm on that second clutch. I just don't see you getting enough g forces on the pads, at say 4-5k rpm (max torque range), to put enough pressure on the bell to not slip, even with no springs. I might be wrong and eat my foot later. I would say this system would work much better if there was much less reduction, even no reduction, before that 2 speed jackshaft.

This is basically the same train of thought I am on, might be running through pads on that second clutch often. At 6970 rpm (newer huasheng's governed max rpm) you are getting 1732 rpm on that second clutch. I just don't see you getting enough g forces on the pads, at say 4-5k rpm (max torque range), to put enough pressure on the bell to not slip, even with no springs. I might be wrong and eat my foot later. I would say this system would work much better if there was much less reduction, even no reduction, before that 2 speed jackshaft.
Agree, but this clutch with the weaker springs (the ones I just installed) is supposed to engage at 830rpms... Supposed..., so I hope it fully engage between 830 and the top speed of the shaft (~1700), if it doesn't, I'll have to go back to the design table.

Here the specs of the clutch: https://www.hilliardextremeduty.com/extremeduty/

Here the springs: https://www.mfgsupply.com/higreen.html

830 is a hell of a low rpm engagement. Wish manufacturers would tell us the rpm clutches are fully engaged at. There is always the option of replacing the large pulley with a much smaller one, hardest part about that would be finding the correct belt. But then it will need either much larger rear sprockets or a secondary o_O jackshaft.
Edit: also seems that your first gear will be mostly primary clutch slippage and barely beginning to fully engage (below max torque) when the secondary clutch begins to take over. I hope this works out better than I see it in my head.

Last edited:
830 is a hell of a low rpm engagement. Wish manufacturers would tell us the rpm clutches are fully engaged at. There is always the option of replacing the large pulley with a much smaller one, hardest part about that would be finding the correct belt. But then it will need either much larger rear sprockets or a secondary o_O jackshaft.
Edit: also seems that your first gear will be mostly primary clutch slippage and barely beginning to fully engage (below max torque) when the secondary clutch begins to take over. I hope this works out better than I see it in my head.
I hope I have empirical answers to all these questions soon...

I hope I have empirical answers to all these questions soon...
If second gear turns out to be a problem, a manual 3d clutch might be the best solution. Although it defeats the original purpose of it being fully automatic, It would let you wind out 1st gear and then have a fully functional 2nd that has immediate lockup.

Back