automatic 2 gear jackshaft

If second gear turns out to be a problem, a manual 3d clutch might be the best solution. Although it defeats the original purpose of it being fully automatic, It would let you wind out 1st gear and then have a fully functional 2nd that has immediate lockup.
I love the idea of a manual second gear, but it must be automatic gears to be legal in Massachusetts...

I hate the draconian laws on these environmentally safer forms of transportation. Beyond backwards from the rest of the legislation being pushed...

Give me your numbers, top rpm, primary (belt) reduction, secondary (1:1?) rear wheel diameter, I’ll modify my 2-speed calculator and post it up.

To those saying there needs to be less reduction before the clutches that is correct.

If he is doing 4:1 primary, then 1:1 secondary, then his 10:48 1st and 10:36 2nd, it sounds like he will be churning both clutches for most of his acceleration up to top speed as it stands.

making the assumption that this clutch also locks up about 1.3 later than rated engagement. just my experience using max torques but these could be different. Also assuming 22" rear wheel OD, and possibly incorrect engine RPMs. I have very little experience with that engine (working on somebody else's bike).

The best gear jump that has worked for me was about 1.45 IIRC. I tried a 1.6 but that was too much. At 1.33 and your 2nd gear clutch on engine side your shift may be super smooth like a CVT slowly upshifting.

Attachments

• 2speed_hs49.JPG
    2speed_hs49.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 212
Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, no doubt this thing is going to be smooth with those clutches. I like the low engagement RPM.

I hate the draconian laws on these environmentally safer forms of transportation. Beyond backwards from the rest of the legislation being pushed...

Yeah, right down the road from the OP is NYC, which actually has a ban on motor-assisted bicycles, whether they are gas or electric. They confiscate e-bikes from delivery people all the time out there!

I spose "environmentally safer" depends on which environment is being saved.

I was looking at low rpm clutches but hadn't found one rated below 1150 but I gave up after a few hours searching kart forums. I'd bet until you get the right springs for your riding style you'll go thru some shoes and get used to the smell of asbestos haha

making the assumption that this clutch also locks up about 1.3 later than rated engagement. just my experience using max torques but these could be different. Also assuming 22" rear wheel OD, and possibly incorrect engine RPMs. I have very little experience with that engine (working on somebody else's bike).

The best gear jump that has worked for me was about 1.45 IIRC. I tried a 1.6 but that was too much. At 1.33 and your 2nd gear clutch on engine side your shift may be super smooth like a CVT slowly upshifting.
Wait, am I getting it wrong or you thing that it may work?

Back