automatic 2 gear jackshaft

If that happens, the gear will desengage... Let's see when I try it

Even if that mount was steel box tube it still would be too weak. You need to tie it in to the frame in at least two places. You will be pulling on one side first, then on the other, and if it’s not extremely rigid it is going to cause the jackshaft to work everything loose and eventually cause chain stretch problems.

Even if that mount was steel box tube it still would be too weak. You need to tie it in to the frame in at least two places. You will be pulling on one side first, then on the other, and if it’s not extremely rigid it is going to cause the jackshaft to work everything loose and eventually cause chain stretch problems.
Thanks for the tips, I'm planning on rebuilding the jackshaft mount as soon as I can do a test ride to see if the concept works... I'll follow your guidance on how to build it.

Babysteps... Today I was able to do the first test on the system, that clutch does not engage at 100%, so the engine is able to get to 7k rpms but the speed is not much faster that the max speed of the first gear. Testing it with just the second gear I realized it does not fully engage. Ordering weaker springs and let's see on the second try.

You may need to make the clutch shoes heavier with weaker springs. It takes "x" amount of weight from parts spinning at "y" rpm to achieve full lock. Drill some some holes (very very precisely) in each arm of each shoe and add nuts and bolts in spots that won't snag anywhere to add weight.

You may need to make the clutch shoes heavier with weaker springs. It takes "x" amount of weight from parts spinning at "y" rpm to achieve full lock.
I know, but all the number are always aprox, luckily for me, they sell weaker springs for this clutch model, the ones I have engage around 1200, the weaker ones around 850...

I know, but all the number are always aprox, luckily for me, they sell weaker springs for this clutch model, the ones I have engage around 1200, the weaker ones around 850...

So what happened? You found out I was right and let go of the project? 9 pages of getting people excited and brainstorming what has already been done several times... feel like most the topics on these forums are exercises in going backwards!

So what happened? You found out I was right and let go of the project? 9 pages of getting people excited and brainstorming what has already been done several times... feel like most the topics on these forums are exercises in going backwards!
Winter happened... First try didn't work, I order the new set of springs for the clutch but the cold arrived before them... Just waiting for better weather before returning to work on it.

I don't have a covered place where to work and I live in New England, so unfortunately I can only work on this project few months a year.

You will hear back from me as soon and I can work outside!

Winter happened... First try didn't work, I order the new set of springs for the clutch but the cold arrived before them... Just waiting for better weather before returning to work on it.

I don't have a covered place where to work and I live in New England, so unfortunately I can only work on this project few months a year.

You will hear back from me as soon and I can work outside!
Oh yeah you guys have actual winter over there I forgot! Can’t wait :D

My 2 cents on the whole "shifting gears is illegal" thing: the SBP shift kit is a crank assist device. It does not have shiftable gears.

The shiftable gears are part of the bicycle and are independent of the engine system. It's a shiftable bicycle with engine on or off.

If you had a shiftable jackshaft, now maybe that's different. I have never heard of anyone getting in trouble just for a shift kit.

Back