Automatic chain tensioner

Yeah I have seen these too. They look nice, accept that for best efficiency you should have a tensioner as close to the driven gear not the driver. Although, no tensioner is even better..!

with chain properly adjusted, nothing else is needed and I've not seen a spring that can pull enough to help

I have one on each of my two bikes and no problem so far! Mine have a wheel instead of the small sprocket shown on the picture (the same kind of wheel that comes with the stock tensioner).

Just an idea for me is all. Since I am using a 150mm drop out frame I think to use a tube mounted tensioner I will have to use spacers to move the pulley out. This here would already be in line and was just wondering if this would be a viable option.

Just an idea for me is all. Since I am using a 150mm drop out frame I think to use a tube mounted tensioner I will have to use spacers to move the pulley out. This here would already be in line and was just wondering if this would be a viable option.
On your frame you will be better off with the engine chain tensioned by the axle / chain tugs, and the pedal chain tensioned by an idler pulley whatsit.

with chain properly adjusted, nothing else is needed and I've not seen a spring that can pull enough to help

I agree. I tried a heap of different tension and diameter springs with this setup. Nothing is really able to overcome the force of the chain though.

Besides, there is absolutely no need if you have a ridgid frame with correct setup using chain tugs. If you had rear suspension then that's a different story...

DSC_0527.JPG

So tension the drive chain via axle tugs and use a chain tensioner for the pedal chain. Hmmm still puts me in the same boat as my frame is farther out since this is a 150mm drop out so I still have to space the tensioner pulley in with what ever frame mounted setup I go with.

Orignally I was going to go with a manual tensioner with a cog wheel but I would need around 1/2" of spacers behind the pulley to get the cog to line up with the drive chain. Shouldn't be a problem as tightening down it will be rigid with the right grade bolt and safe, just not sure how nice in my eyes that is going to look. Guess I will have to try it out.

I also need to look into the tugs because I don't know how I could make those work with an axle mounted drop down kick stand.

Back