automatics, coasting and starting

I

iron_monkey

This may be a basic question but its not discussed often, I cant find a consensus.

I once had a manual version, which got stolen. Now I'm considering the 2 stroke automatic when I buy one again. How easy is it to pull start these engines?

When coasting does the clutch still transmit drive to the engine making it unable to coast faster without overreving? So once the engine is started there is significant "bite" already?

Last edited by a moderator:
A centrifugal clutch, right?

These engine (2 or 4 stroke) have pretty low compression so pull starting is not a problem.

If you don't give the engine gas, the clutch will disengage on its own, so you can coast with the engine at idle if you are not revving.

As for bite, I don't quite know what you mean, but on my bike, (4 stroke, centrifugal clutch) I always start it on its stand (a kick stand that lifts the rear wheel off the ground is suggested) because when I give it enough gass to start, the wheel spins for a second.

A centrifugal clutch, right?

These engine (2 or 4 stroke) have pretty low compression so pull starting is not a problem.

With ease of starting how do they compare to your typical 23cc trimmer engine? Im finding mine a ***** to start, then again our trimmer is very old.

Do they usually start on the first pull, or second, third?

I have a Robin/Subaru 4 Stroke. 1 pull start almost everytime. I also have a 33cc Tanaka 2 Stroke. 3 to 4 pulls to start. But the basic difference in engines, valves, etc, makes the difference in that starting. Having both engines in my possession, I prefer the 2 stroke over the 4. Hope this helps a little.

BY bite he means will it have instant torque such as when you start a weed eater or chain saw and it immediatly starts spinning. Or if you started up a vehicle with a manual tranny without clutching in. Hard to say, some mopeds/scooters(especially) as soon as started will want to drive off on you, which is why they have the centerstand on them. Even without revving it. With some, if theres wieght, it wont.

Well then, what I said.

The instructions on the 4 stroke kit suggest a center stand, but they don't say why. I figured it out and used a more vintage styled rear wheel stand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back