Axle too short for GEBE

Discussion in 'Rack Mounted Engines' started by chaddwinkle, Mar 5, 2009.

1. chaddwinkle

chaddwinkle New Member

So I'm a total noob when it comes to bike mechanics but I thought this install would be really easy. My Raleigh mountain bike's forks were just narrow enough to rub the ring attached to the spokes, so I slipped to washers in to widen the forks a tiny bit. This worked great except when I went to slip on the engine mount, I had just enough room to thread the axle bolt about halfway. This in no way seems safe or stable but aside from getting a longer axle and replacing a bunch of parts, I'm stuck. The good people at Golden Eagle suggested a grade 8 nut but I'm not sure what this is. Anybody have some creative suggestions?

Thanks

<
  2. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

Are you using the stock 16 gauge spokes that came on the bike?

Because most folks buy a new 12 g. wheel right off the bat (or switch pretty quick after a few snap). A new wheels axle, like the 2 inch Wheel Masters, will be long enough.

But I guess you are axle mounting it, I "frame mount" mine so that axle problem never really comes up.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  3. flyer1

flyer1 Guest

If your trying to use both washer and nut on the outside just omit the washer and use a nut only on the outside, the engine support frame will function as a washer, this worked for me.

4. graucho

graucho Active Member

Another option is frame mount the support bars. I made a carpy video on youtube that shows what frame mount means. (At about the 2.50 minute mark) I bought this kit used so the previous owner did this because he ran into the same thing you did. This is just another option. I have had zero problems with almost 2 thousand on it. graucho

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UZT91Dma-E

5. stude13

stude13 Active Member

i think you can adjust the skewer to one side, ask at a bike shop, they also would have longer ones.

6. chaddwinkle

chaddwinkle New Member

Bike store fixed the problem and I installed it a couple of days ago. Works great, wish the weather would warm up in Maine cause cruising at 25 mph in 15 degree weather leaves a lot to be desired :)