Axle too short for GEBE

chaddwinkle

Local time
10:06 AM
So I'm a total noob when it comes to bike mechanics but I thought this install would be really easy. My Raleigh mountain bike's forks were just narrow enough to rub the ring attached to the spokes, so I slipped to washers in to widen the forks a tiny bit. This worked great except when I went to slip on the engine mount, I had just enough room to thread the axle bolt about halfway. This in no way seems safe or stable but aside from getting a longer axle and replacing a bunch of parts, I'm stuck. The good people at Golden Eagle suggested a grade 8 nut but I'm not sure what this is. Anybody have some creative suggestions?

Thanks

Are you using the stock 16 gauge spokes that came on the bike?

Because most folks buy a new 12 g. wheel right off the bat (or switch pretty quick after a few snap). A new wheels axle, like the 2 inch Wheel Masters, will be long enough.

But I guess you are axle mounting it, I "frame mount" mine so that axle problem never really comes up.

Last edited:
If your trying to use both washer and nut on the outside just omit the washer and use a nut only on the outside, the engine support frame will function as a washer, this worked for me.

Another option is frame mount the support bars. I made a carpy video on youtube that shows what frame mount means. (At about the 2.50 minute mark) I bought this kit used so the previous owner did this because he ran into the same thing you did. This is just another option. I have had zero problems with almost 2 thousand on it. graucho

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UZT91Dma-E

Bike store fixed the problem and I installed it a couple of days ago. Works great, wish the weather would warm up in Maine cause cruising at 25 mph in 15 degree weather leaves a lot to be desired :)

Back