Axle Upgrade to my AOSOM Elite II Bicycle Cargo Trailer

heligonka

Local time
10:13 PM
I have had an AOSOM cargo trailer with the 20" wheels for some time now, and when I had taken it for a test run, I noticed how erratic and loose the little axles and wheels were at only a moderate speed. Flip Flop Wobble. I know a badly engineered axle design when I see one. So, now I have ordered and received a brand new 1/2" S.S. threaded rod axle to replace the pitiful stub axles, and am ready to begin. If anyone has an interest in such a project or suggestion or comment on this subject, feel free to get back to me, a new guy.

We're all interested in amateur engineering projects! (aren't we?)
I have a crappy two wheel trailer with the stub axles (only supported by one end) and they're about 11mm diameter. I noticed that the bearings are not properly sealed and the spokes are terrible too (and loose) but my wheels are 16" anyway so I will likely be replacing them with 20" wheels and making new dropouts, with support for the outside end using the brush bar.
I really want to use dynamo hubs so that (cost) is helping me to procrastinate and never start the project lol.
I would love to see how you engineer your solution. :)

FurryOnTheInside , Thanks for your reply, and I am certainly an "amateur" at engineering anything. The 20" wheels on my trailer are just some ordinary wheel barrow type units with 2 sealed bearings on each one, and the cheapest possible hubs and spokes. (How am I going to check the tightness of the spokes when my Park spoke gauge won't fit the small wheels?) Anyway, I'm stuck with them and will make the best of it. I thought about using the brush bars for support of the outer ends of the axle(s), but on my rig they don't seem to line up properly. I plan to cut the new S.S. 1/2" fine thread rod to the length that will permit me to lock the axle with jamb nuts and the hubs fit exactly this new axle. I'm not familiar with dynamo hubs, probably can't afford them anyhow. I'm also a known procrastinator.

I am looking for a trailer for my bikes I am running a towing company Rite Way Towing we are looking for a trailer which has the capability to take 3 motorcycles at a time, and also trailer must be durable and reliable anybody has a recommendation for me? We have to use that for Motorcycle Towing Service....

Back