Crashes Back from Christmas hospital vacation...WEAR That Helmet

Wow - we all wish you a speedy recovery. Man, just take her easy. At this point, walk it off, rest and get better.

Scary stuff. Glad you are posting.

Yikes- I hope we all learn from your experience. Well wishes and prayers from here.

My very best wishes to you for a full recovery. I had an accident on my MB in October. I had forgotten the helmet, fortunately I didn't whack my noggin. I wear the helmet every time I ride now. Experience is a great teacher.

Jeez---good thing it was your head, otherwise you may have been hurt!

Just kidding. Here are prayers and best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

I saw this thread this morning and was planning a reply.
Tedd, I almost joined you in the coma ward this afternoon.
I never ride without a helmet, but it was only a circuit of the driveway and front yard.
My driveway is half gravel, then concrete. Front wheel slid on the gravel, hit the edge ofthe concrete and threw me headfirst into the concrete. Out cold, puddle of blood, a neighbour ran from up the road and helped out.
An hour of vomiting, dizziness, etc.
1 knee, 1 hand, 1 shoulder and you should see my head. (It looked bad enough before this.) I was lucky.
This was a few hours ago, so it looks like I'm OK, still a bit queasy etc.
Wear that helmet.

Not sure about damage to the bike, not much I think.
I'm off to a shower and bed to sleep this off.

... Steve

you should see my head. (It looked bad enough before this.)

We need pictures. :>) Sorry, just had to. It seemed to fit. I certainly hope you recover.......We are having too many accidents lately. Everyone, be careful please. Guess I should pay attention to that myself. :>(

We need pictures. :>) Sorry, just had to. It seemed to fit. I certainly hope you recover.......We are having too many accidents lately. Everyone, be careful please. Guess I should pay attention to that myself. :>(

Hi Denny, I just snapped a couple for posterity - thanks for the idea, but I don't think I should post them here?

Didn't make it to bed, feeling better.
Should have got the head stitched, though, I think.

... Steve

Last edited:
helmet, sometimes I wonder.

About twenty years ago I fell of my mountain bike on the way to work( I used to own a little bike shop twenty miles from my house.) and broke my hemet. I was out cold for five days under life support for three. I will never be the same as I was back then. Every day now I have to struggle to do the things that I used to take for granted. I never got my balance back to where it used to be and my short term memory has gone the way of the passenger pigeon. I guess that it worth it but sometimes I wonder.

On a positive note I have decided to go back to school and finally get that degree I have been putting off. It won't be in Sociology,History or Political Science, looks like my art minor is now a major. Like Clint Eastwood said in Magnum Force "A man has got to know his limitations".

I still work on bikes and even build bicycle frames, but what once took me an hour now takes a day. If I go at it at a deliberate speed I can still do quality work, But it is sometimes very frustrating.

I hope you have a full recovery and if you still have some problems there is some help out there.

http://www.biausa.org/ the local chapter of these guys really helped me out.

Mike Frye-the bike guy

Last edited:
Back