"Back in Black" build

"Commando Commuter" Trek 3700 build

I finally received my bicycle engine this weekend. It took two weeks to get here from Thunder Bay, Ontario. It's a Chris Hill engine kit. I just set the engine on the bike for a quick picture.

I'm planning on painting the engine flat black to match the stealth look of the bike. I need to make a couple of brackets to mount it to the bike because my seat tube and down tube are too big to use the supplied brackets. I might also make my own fuel tank or use a MSR camping fuel bottle because the tank that came with it is too wide and I know I would hit my knees on it when I pedal.

Anybody have experience using a fuel bottle for bicycle engine? I know I need to buy a MSR fuel pump for this bottle, but I think I'm going to have to buy a MSR stove so I can use the fuel line. I'm not sure if the fuel pump uses a standard fitting or not.

Attachments

• LeftBike.JPG
    LeftBike.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 846
  • FuelTanks.JPG
    FuelTanks.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:
I hope so. I read a thread where people were having problems with the fuel tank leaking at the cap. I might get a better quality filler neck and cap if this one develops a leak.

I built a new 1/8" steel tank that I will mount behind my seat at the same angle as the seatpost. I used some 4"x4"x1/8" square tubing that I had at the shop. I cut a length to 6", cut out 1" of the width of the tubing and welded it back together so the size was 4" wide x 3" deep x 6" high.

I cut the filler bung and drain nipple out of the old tank and welded them on to the new tank. Now I just need to make some mounting brackets and paint the tank black.

DAMM IT I wish I could weld

Back