"Back in Black" build

"Commando Commuter" Trek 3700 build

I finally received my bicycle engine this weekend. It took two weeks to get here from Thunder Bay, Ontario. It's a Chris Hill engine kit. I just set the engine on the bike for a quick picture.

I'm planning on painting the engine flat black to match the stealth look of the bike. I need to make a couple of brackets to mount it to the bike because my seat tube and down tube are too big to use the supplied brackets. I might also make my own fuel tank or use a MSR camping fuel bottle because the tank that came with it is too wide and I know I would hit my knees on it when I pedal.

Anybody have experience using a fuel bottle for bicycle engine? I know I need to buy a MSR fuel pump for this bottle, but I think I'm going to have to buy a MSR stove so I can use the fuel line. I'm not sure if the fuel pump uses a standard fitting or not.

Attachments

• LeftBike.JPG
    LeftBike.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 845
  • FuelTanks.JPG
    FuelTanks.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 478
Last edited:
Just be careful with those mudguards, this type (that connects near the axle) has been known to become loose due to engine vibration, come off at speed and tangle in the wheel (and throw you off). Mudguards that attach directly to the seatpost or front forks are safer for motor-assist bikes.

Looks great though, I love the black bikes. high temp black radiator paint would work on your engine and also look badass. :)

did you actually fit the tank on your bike? It actually isn't all that bad for me anyway.
I would use the red bottle as a reserve tank with pre mix already in there.
Then other members have placed that stock tank behind the seat on the rack.

hey CJH
nice bike ya got there, I am a TREK fan.
I bet it will do nicely with your motor
there are some checklists that would help tremendously with your install
while my motor wont be here until the 14th at the earliest, I have read a LOT over the last few days and have developed a 'game plan' so to speak for my install.
good luck with yours and here's hoping you have happy motoring in your near future

I'd check auto parts store and hardware store before buying a stove for the fuel line. Why do you need a fuel pump? I thought HT's were just gravity feed.
I'd check auto parts store and hardware store before buying a stove for the fuel line. Why do you need a fuel pump? I thought HT's were just gravity feed.

Last edited:
did you actually fit the tank on your bike? It actually isn't all that bad for me anyway.
I would use the red bottle as a reserve tank with pre mix already in there.
Then other members have placed that stock tank behind the seat on the rack.

No, it just looks too wide, but I should try it before I go through all the trouble of making another tank.

You are correct. If you use the stock fuel tank, the carb is gravity fed. But the fuel bottle I want to use requires the use of a fuel pump. You can use any type of petroleum based fuel with these bottles. I mostly want to use one because they take up less space and they come in different sizes.

Attachments

• CAS0030.jpg
    CAS0030.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 295
I LOVE it!

I finally received my bicycle engine this weekend. It took two weeks to get here from Thunder Bay, Ontario. It's a Chris Hill engine kit. I just set the engine on the bike for a quick picture.

I'm planning on painting the engine flat black to match the stealth look of the bike. I need to make a couple of brackets to mount it to the bike because my seat tube and down tube are too big to use the supplied brackets. I might also make my own fuel tank or use a MSR camping fuel bottle because the tank that came with it is too wide and I know I would hit my knees on it when I pedal.

Anybody have experience using a fuel bottle for bicycle engine? I know I need to buy a MSR fuel pump for this bottle, but I think I'm going to have to buy a MSR stove so I can use the fuel line. I'm not sure if the fuel pump uses a standard fitting or not.

The color, and the with a black engine.... With the fenders over the knobby tires, looks like a commando commuter to me.

Ha ha! :LOL: I like it! That's a good name for my bike! I'm changing the name of the thread.

Carl

Back