back in from Canada.

Welcome back! We don't usually purge accounts.... maybe you were using a different email address? If you know your old account details we can get it back for you. Just message me your old user name and email address and I'll see what I can do!

Hey no problems, if you have used the same username then the old one no longer exists unfortunately.

yo Legwon I've been preaching rear mount shims to get rid of the tensioner. not much interest, but I'm still loving it. been working on my fancy poo poo, shaping with a torch and trying to get the path right.

Hi MacZulu.
I liked your shimming the motor to get rid of the death trap they call A Chain Tensioner:rolleyes:
So I tried it yesterday = two hours just to make the shims I needed to get the chain tight. Then another hour or so to get everything to work. Then the chain rubbed the rear engine mounting bracket. Had to grind that down to almost to thin to be safe. I noticed the chain rubbed the chainstay too, but thought it would be ok. Took it for a ride, and less then two blocks away the chain came off,( into the spokes naturally).:(
So I am back to the death trap again. I have my setup on an old Huffy road bike, I think it is just to skinny to work your way. Oh well. Keep looking up! Ken.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 117
Sorry to hear it doesn't work for you Ken, I'm running 2.35" and I have also rounded the top corner of the rear mount at the frame, but not severely. I'm also using a 44T right now, if I put on my 56T I would need the tensioner to get clearance. I only used the tensioner as a tensioner, I didn't use it to correct or change the chain path.

it is also a tad more work to adjust, I started with a new chain. right now I'm using one 16g shim and two 24g. as the chain gets looser I then need to start fresh. take the shims out and see if I need to remove a link, I only want to use 1/2 links as a last resort. so chain length first, then shims, then 1/2 if desperate. also means means resetting front mount when changing shim count, which I find less annoying than I did playing with the tensioner.

for me it has been very good and reliable.

Ken I apologize for forgetting everyone of these contraptions is unique and there are few blanket solutions for all. especiall since I have custom mounts and my engine sits higher than using direct mounts
20151208_150929_resized.jpg

not my idea Mac, but thx .. lol
Ken, ya its difficult at first. but once you get it, its easy to adjust or figure your next setup.
personally i use 16ga and 24ga galvanized steel.
the reason it works so well for me and Mac, is because of our custom mounts. its acts like a jackshaft bracket. the shimming system is from the SBP jackshaft instructions.

Back