Back on the road

My friend purchased a Harbor Freight tig welder and we use it consistently on our bike frames. There's a lot more control when you feed the wire rod with your left hand. Also, you can constantly vary the heat with the foot pedal which is an important feature. I always thought stick welders were for farm equipment.

If you buy the cheapo 80amp and get good at welding frames then when you need it for heavier stuff you have regrets, my experience. Not that I ever was good at bike frames. We're talking 110v here not 240v. The one I had would barely do a good burn on 1/8th in plate using a stick.

If you buy the cheapo 80amp and get good at welding frames then when you need it for heavier stuff you have regrets, my experience. Not that I ever was good at bike frames. We're talking 110v here not 240v. The one I had would barely do a good burn on 1/8th in plate using a stick.
I have a little inverter type welder, 180amp. It does flux, mig and stick, I just change which hole on the front I put the ground in, the simplest change over. I just use it for mig though.

You think a harbor freight 110 volt stick welder is good enough for bike frames?

I took welding for 2 years in high school, 30 years ago. Haven't welded since. We did gas and stick.
A harbor freight 110 amp welder is more than enough for bike frames. It will burn a hole through easy as pie. You want to keep your amperage down to around 60 amps or so when welding a bike frame. Stuff is thin, and with a stick welder you might need to tack and go, tack and go to let it cool some between metal depositing.

My friend purchased a Harbor Freight tig welder and we use it consistently on our bike frames. There's a lot more control when you feed the wire rod with your left hand. Also, you can constantly vary the heat with the foot pedal which is an important feature. I always thought stick welders were for farm equipment.
Well now that I think of it, it was an agricultural welding class

Back