Back on the road

Blamb

Local time
11:16 AM
Got my bike (incognito) back on the road this year. I didnt have any problems with it when I put it up when it turned cold. First ride this year, the chain broke. Didnt want to start, didnt run well. Bolts loosened up. Basically, it went to hell. Had to buy new heater hose intake, re-oil chain, the carb runs slightly "choked" for some reason now. So many things had to be replaced or fixed. Had to weld the chain tensioner to the frame. Is this normal? Do they go to hell after sitting for awhile?

Attachments

• 20220404_173850.jpg
    20220404_173850.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 159
  • 20220404_173931.jpg
    20220404_173931.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 141
  • 20220404_173959_HDR.jpg
    20220404_173959_HDR.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 146
I will look in to that actually but, I like the way the engine is hid when riding. I dont have chain problems though. Just needed a little oil.

I will look in to that actually but, I like the way the engine is hid when riding. I dont have chain problems though. Just needed a little oil.
The engine is hidden on most MBs anyway, it's hardly ever noticed. Until the DA opens his door and doesn't realize you're doing 30.

Heres a similar build. Has a more direct chain line, with a spring idler. Was a favorite until I needed the engine for another build.

Attachments

• BA019F6B-F1F2-485F-BAB6-D465EAF47226.jpeg
    BA019F6B-F1F2-485F-BAB6-D465EAF47226.jpeg
    377.2 KB · Views: 135
Thats a nice build. My chain was hitting the frame. Thats the only reason I use the tensioner. My other two bikes dont use one at all.

I take it we are talking about the first bike in the picture because the last bike is NOT the same one.

I have NEVER seen a tensioner mounted on the top chain ! This chain has all the torque applied to the wheel and should ideally run in a straight line. The tensioner goes on the lower portion of the chain where there is no torque and simply keeps the slack in the chain from jumping the sprocket. You need to change this if you haven't already. Many of us tack weld the tensioner to the frame just to make damn sure it doesn't rotate accidentally into the spokes. This doesn't look to be an issue in your case, but still a good idea. That strap on your tensioner appears to be made from "plumber's tape". I hope not because it is not rigid enough and should be replaced with a solid steel strap.

I think the lean condition you are experiencing is partly due to the fuel molecules falling out of suspension and sticking to the inner surface of you intake hose. I think this is a clever fix to your carb alignment problem , but I will suggest making this hose as short as possible. By using a hose coupling you have taken away any heat the carb was getting before from the engine block. This is a GOOD thing in the hot summer weather, but NOT so good during the cooler times of the year. I can see why it wants a little choke right now.

I'm doing a little work on my bike right now also. I rode it hard last fall and put it up wet. Mine shook itself loose also but I think I have that issue resolved. I like the fact you chose that particular style frame. I've always wondered how it would look. Best wishes.

Thank you whiteman but, that chain tensioner is the only way this build will work unles I want to cut the frame and extend it out so the chain can run straight from the sprocket returning to the engine. That is something I may do in the near future.

I took your guys advise. I removed the tensioner and cut the frame, bent it out and welded in a short piece of metal so the chain has a straight shot from the drive sprocket to the engine. Looks like crap and I will probably die.... But hell, I put a engine on a bicycle right.

Attachments

• 20220406_134254.jpg
    20220406_134254.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 105
I took your guys advise. I removed the tensioner and cut the frame, bent it out and welded in a short piece of metal so the chain has a straight shot from the drive sprocket to the engine. Looks like crap and I will probably die.... But hell, I put a engine on a bicycle right.
I think this is what they meant about cutting frame. Here is a womans bike I'm converting to mans cruiser. In 1st pic is b4 I cut the bike tube out. The 2nd pic is after I cut bar out, I flipped bar end for end & rotated it 180° & welded it back in.
20211030_151341.jpg
20211102_111331.jpg

Back