Back to pedal power or foot power

BE CAREFUL !!! I got my first Harley when I was only 14. I like 'em, I respect 'em, like to look at 'em, but have no desire to have one anymore. Just remember the rule of thumb. There are 2 kinds of motorcyclists, those that have crashed and those are going to ! Don't care if I know you or not, not trying to be negative here, just don't want anyone to get hurt or worse. $400.00 ? Some people have all the good luck !

May I presume to advise here? Before buying any older out of production motorcycle, make sure parts are still available. I quit riding mc's because of a couple near misses w/ cagers. Drunks or cellphone users or just bad luck, helmut or not, too many horrible injuries. I plan my routes on the mb and ride within it's limitations. Nothing like that fresh air in the face even at 25 mph. It's put the fun back into cycling for me and mb's are unique hybrid machines.

Well guys,I understand your views here and respect your opinions.But,I got to say that even a m.b. can get you killed and Is no safer than a motorcycle.I was riding 35 a few weeks before my frame bit the dust and had a lady 3 Inches from my rear wheel who would not pass me.And got hit once with a woman backing out from a gas station.Sometimes not enough speed will get you killed or hurt also.Whizzerd,Anything can get a person hurt or killed.even a bicycle.I can't live In fear of people and way I ride I need something that can do 40 to 50 mph.I could not even hold 30 mph on a m.b. consistantly without mechanical or frame problems.And the suzuki 250 mauraders are still produced today. 1999 to present.I wish there was another way but,I have to move on to something That has a sturdy frame.One pothole ruined my m.b. and nearly wiped me out on the pavement.Frame Issues has been my problem and reason I have purchased a suzuki 250 marauder.I truly wish things would have been different.I prefer m.b.'s over motorcycles and scooters.But,I cannot have frame/engine Issues to contend with every week. I truly hate and regret the fact I had to drop the m.b. thing for something more dangerous.But,I don't have the time or money to fix cheapo stuff or to buy a 600 buck ezm outfit with a 500 buck bike at present.I wish I did.I truly do

Last edited:
BE CAREFUL !!! I got my first Harley when I was only 14. I like 'em, I respect 'em, like to look at 'em, but have no desire to have one anymore. Just remember the rule of thumb. There are 2 kinds of motorcyclists, those that have crashed and those are going to ! Don't care if I know you or not, not trying to be negative here, just don't want anyone to get hurt or worse. $400.00 ? Some people have all the good luck !

Just got lucky on this one for 400 bucks.Needs a starter and tune up.I bought It off a stoner title and all.There are some people who have never crashed.And It scares me to think I could end up dead or paralysed on the highway.But,I will say people also get hurt or killed on m.b.'s,bicycles,scooters,vehicles,etc.etc.I got friends who have crashed and If lucky have pins In their legs or missing a body part grinded to a stump by the pavement.But usually more often than not Motorcycle wrecks come from drinking,drugs,and not paying attention to your environment. Those 3 things I mentioned are 70% the cause of death or serious Injury.And The statement you are making Is In care for my well being and respect.But,Last thing I need to think about Is horror stories and death on the highway while riding a motorcycle.Worst wreck I ever had was on a m.b. 5 years ago In cali.broke teeth,cracked hip,and stones 1 Inch through my forearm at 30 mph.With helmet and clothing covering my limbs.My backpack saved me from even worse.Life Is a chance and sooner or later we all gotta meet the grim reaper:cry:. I am trying to think positive about this. I am an only son.And If something happened to me My mother would go crazy.But,She also understands anything can happen at any given time.I leave It up to God's will.

Last edited:
I hopefully will one day be able to build a decent m.b. that can handle rough roads.Potholes and debris Is what tore up my m.b. Not engine problems.

Plinko..I do agree with what Porkchop says above..Susy mar 250 for 400bucks..good deal..good luck with that...much better choice than even a new chinese scooter I think.

I'll post a pic tomorrow of the susy on my avatar.I am gonna take a motorcycle rider course and practice In a parking lot for a month or 2 before I get road bound.I feel more In control of a scooter or m.b. but,I guess I will be doing a motorcycle for a while.I could even resell It for 1200 to 1500 easy.But since my mother bought me this.I will keep It as a heirloom.After 2 m.b. engines and 3 frames along with parts and labor.My mother found this and said It's time to upgrade and maybe later on you will get a decent m.b. or moped which can handle rough roads.

I'll post a pic tomorrow of the susy on my avatar.I am gonna take a motorcycle rider course and practice In a parking lot for a month or 2 before I get road bound.I feel more In control of a scooter or m.b. but,I guess I will be doing a motorcycle for a while.I could even resell It for 1200 to 1500 easy.But since my mother bought me this.I will keep It as a heirloom.After 2 m.b. engines and 3 frames along with parts and labor.My mother found this and said It's time to upgrade and maybe later on you will get a decent m.b. or moped which can handle rough roads.

Good luck,Plinko. I, too bought a motorcycle less than a year ago. Actually it's a maxiscooter, a Yamaha 400 Majesty. I also took the Motorcycle Safety Course and I highly recommend it.AS much fun as the MB's are, you can't underestimate the value of a well engineered machine. It certainly takes reliability and safety up a notch. IN my 30,000 miles of riding MB's my biggest fear was being clipped from behind by a cager. On a motorcycle the biggest danger is to get T-boned by one. One other thing. Get some good riding gear, at least a good armored jacket.

I'm with porkchop on this one as well....

I have about $900 invested into my GIANT gebe and it runs flawlessly now for several hundred miles!

When she dies or gets to the point of being too costly to fix, I am done with MB's at that point and will move on to finding me a nice old moped to run around on!

A bicycle allows you to exert all energy in forward propulsion and the bicycle carries all the weight. The legs don't have to carry you and thus the legs are free to do the driving.

A bicycle runs on vegeburgers, lattays and bodyfat same as walking and running. A bicycle is lighter than your body an there's the mechanical advantage.

Adding a motor will help the legs and will transfer gas into bodyfat :whistle: but the downside is more maintenance and expense. Jus like eating a macca instead of cookin yer own, an here i'm talkin hummer more than a motoredbike!

The expense of a motored bike is a piddle compared a hummer, ferrari an even a motorciycle.

Last edited:
the best thing imo to have would be a 70s 50cc moped. Buy it with a roached motor for super cheap with a title and everything. Throw a 110 cc lifan engine on it. Do a good job fixing it up and obey the law so the lawman doesnt catch on and youve got yourself a super reliable 4 stroke pretty fast scoot and super cheap to insure and run. got to be chain drive though or you cant really swap engines very easy

Back