Break In Back Wheel is Extremely Hard to Move

P2skater1

Local time
3:13 PM
Hey, I just finished building my first motor bike and I have some problems.
72d4EJQ.jpg

First off, the Back Wheel doesn't free spin when I engage the clutch. It is extremely hard to pedal and takes all my body weight (140lbs) to push down the pedals while pedaling. Once it starts up, it accelerates to 20mph fast, then stays there. The engine is suppose to go up to 40mph, so I dont know whats up... When the engine chain isnt connected to the engine and the back tire, I can ride the bike normally and the back tire freely spins. It has to be the engine that is hindering the back wheel from spinning easily.
n0ubeJ0.jpg

I am a novice so any adive will help.

Ps- my engine chain slightly rubs against my back tire, and I don't have a way to seperate them/fix it, need advice with this too.

So you'll want to figure out the clutch issue, press the lever in on the actual engine and see if you can get the wheel to let go, if not open the clutch cover and start adjusting..

Check the barrel in the carb isn't installed backwards/rotated 180° by accident. 40 mph my ass on an unmodded engine during break-in, good luck after break in. Single speed will get there with a 36 or smaller gear, say bye bye to hills then.

So you'll want to figure out the clutch issue, press the lever in on the actual engine and see if you can get the wheel to let go, if not open the clutch cover and start adjusting..

Check the barrel in the carb isn't installed backwards/rotated 180° by accident. 40 mph my ass on an unmodded engine during break-in, good luck after break in. Single speed will get there with a 36 or smaller gear, say bye bye to hills then.
I havent the slightest clue what the carb barrel is. But I will try to adjust the clutch tomorrow, should that be the fix? Or just a guess?

Frankenstein helped me the same problem it was the clutch cable end that goes in the carb for me. the bike would just take off and roar when the clutch was in. adjust it and works great now.

Hey, I just finished building my first motor bike and I have some problems.
72d4EJQ.jpg

First off, the Back Wheel doesn't free spin when I engage the clutch. It is extremely hard to pedal and takes all my body weight (140lbs) to push down the pedals while pedaling. Once it starts up, it accelerates to 20mph fast, then stays there. The engine is suppose to go up to 40mph, so I dont know whats up... When the engine chain isnt connected to the engine and the back tire, I can ride the bike normally and the back tire freely spins. It has to be the engine that is hindering the back wheel from spinning easily.
n0ubeJ0.jpg

I am a novice so any adive will help.

Ps- my engine chain slightly rubs against my back tire, and I don't have a way to seperate them/fix it, need advice with this too.
Start with taking all that slack you got out of the clutch cable, Then go to youtube and type in motorized bike fix your throttle if it's stuck. Not sure what tires your using. Looks like cyclops and if so they are 2.4's. On that bike you might be able to kentucky windage alignments enough to clear the chain, but probably not with a 2.4 you might have to go down to a 2.125. You could also turn the rear sprocket around. It's hard to see it as well but it looks like you have it installed backwards. It should dish inward towards to hub. Your tensioner should also be closer to the rear sprocket. This will give better clearance to the chain stay.

Last edited:
Sprocket is dished in so that needs to be flipped around. Especially if it was mounted with only half the rag joint.

Update: It turns out my clutch cable was loose, so it wasnt fully activating the clutch. That was my main problem. Now i just need to invert the wheel sprocket so my chain doesbt rub my tire

If the chain continues to rub the tire your other options are: (1) get a sprocket adapter that will set the sprocket a little further away from the wheel (2) get a thinner tire, (3) get a thinner chain, I use a really strong BMX chain (4) remount your engine with more of a tilt.

Back