Back Wheel won't free wheel but works when spark plug is removed

Black12

Local time
11:57 AM
Hello! I recently used a motor kit on a cruiser and after completing it, I went out to test it. However, when i disengaged the clutch, the back wheel would only stutter and would not free wheel. I looked around and saw some posts about removing the spark plug and testing it. I did that and after disengaging the clutch the sound of the engine turning was made. The question is, why does it work with the spark plug removed and how do I fix that?

You don't fix that, you pedal harder and then your motor will start. The first start is the hardest because everything is tight and new. It'll get easier after that. Does it freewheel with the clutch in?

If I’m reading this correctly, with the clutch disengaged it’s still turning the motor over with and without the spark plug installed. That’s a clutch adjustment issue and sounds like you didn’t set up the cable, arm it star wheel adjuster correctly. As mentioned, when properly adjusted...the first few times pedaling with the clutch lever pulled in will feel tighter than normal if you’re just riding around not wanting to use engine power, but little by little frees up as everything seats and wears in.
I just got mine running Friday night and after about 5 rides of 20-30 minutes around the neighborhood...everything is starting to wear in and smooth out in the drivetrain.

No, you're not reading it correctly. When he lets out the clutch he is battling the compression to turn the rear wheel.

He just needs to get it rolling a bit before he lets out the clutch.

If I’m reading this correctly, with the clutch disengaged it’s still turning the motor over with and without the spark plug installed. That’s a clutch adjustment issue and sounds like you didn’t set up the cable, arm it star wheel adjuster correctly. As mentioned, when properly adjusted...the first few times pedaling with the clutch lever pulled in will feel tighter than normal if you’re just riding around not wanting to use engine power, but little by little frees up as everything seats and wears in.
I just got mine running Friday night and after about 5 rides of 20-30 minutes around the neighborhood...everything is starting to wear in and smooth out in the drivetrain.

Umm...he says disengaging twice. Motor shouldn’t turn when disengaging a clutch, it’s when you engage it so the OP isn’t clear then if it’s released and he’s trying to pedal and having problems or with the lever pulled in (disengaged) that he can only pedal with the plug pulled, which would be easier without compression but still take quite a bit of effort. Stock out of the box, I wouldn’t trust the clutch to have the star wheel be adjusted correctly from the factory 🤷‍♂️

Back