bad timing

B

beast775

well after spending countless hours building a eco friendly alternative transporter my province in canada british columbia has put a new law on the table im the only person i know who built a self charging hybrid,they must be watching me .a ebike will not have more than 1 motor or generator or alternator.guess im illegal again im gonna move to seattle!http://www.veloteq.com/laws_bc_electric_bicycles.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
hehe...i'm thinking some of our "guests" may be browsing MBc with a more official frame of mind...

that's too bad that happened, i'm half expecting to start seeing similar local actions in the states, too.

I guess it's about time to get proactive, let's get rolling so that WE can decide and help write the rules rather than have them, who know nothing about the bikes, the hobby, the eco friendly potential, etc. blindside us with restrictions and try to change it after the fact.
Let's get the grassroots movement growing and ride on our capitals.
Does anyone have experience organizing these sort of things? Does anyone have connections in or with ABATE who could give us advice?
Let's roll my comrades!

re fighting back

its all about the government slippin there hands in our pockets!and getting moneyfrom retailers of alternative transport systems.they dont want people saving money obeying the laws and doing things that make sense on there own terms thats the problem!without fighting back well lose for sure.i know groups stifle government regulation,ohio 3700 bikers rallied against helmet laws it was dropped.im thinkin augi was right about other people lookin at the site,the company that posted the new laws for ebikes makes and produces them in north america there letting the government deep in there pockets. they are probably watching and figuring out how much money the government is losing by not having a foothold on production,this company velotec is marketing all of the places that members of these boards are from seems strange to me.i see lots of ebikes here in victoria at least 5 in a hr go by in the morning before i go to work,seems unbelevable but i put in a search looking for hybrid bikes and mine popped up on mbc,just a coincedence im starting to not think so.it seems unbielevable to me. but why would this new law be on the books all of a sudden?im the only person with one within 2500 kms of me.doesnt make sense.maybe we need a new law that lets us buy a plate get insurance and be able to drive,ive driven backhoes on the road in town talk about dangerous!the company had insurance and a plate on it how do you go about that it was a 73 17 thousand pound death trap,did they the govenment call it a alternative vehicle?maybe a proposal to get plates and insurance may work id pay 150 a year insurance and 38 for plates at least we could get help if moron drivers hurt us.im mad im up for anything to try something new here.this board is pro and run properly so this might be a good foundation!

out on a whim!

well i bit the bullet and went to the local chop shop i mean cop shop,see if any of you can figure this one out!stood in line in traffic querys for 15 minutes and talked to a nice police lady about motorized bicycles.she says ow thats a hot topic,i say i have a 43cc gas motor and a electric motor on a bicycle.she says can you still use the pedals for momentum yup for sure,she says its legall then as long as your not braking any traffic violations!another cop walks up and says as long as theres no factory speedometer its legal.is there pedals? yup i say ok no problem then.another cop walks up and says the crdc?i dont know what that is but im gonna find out, they contact the local ebike store owner she has all the laws pertaining to your inquiry.ok i walk away amazed at all of this.get to the ebike shop tell her the cops sent me there to get the laws on motorized bicycles.she gives me a paper stating that motorized skateboards and go peds and segway human transporter are all illegal,then tells me that all bicycles with motors other than hers are illegal?what!she tells this crdc what is good and bad.they contact her for safety issues?all she knows is she buys a 600 dollar ebike and sells it for 1200 bucks.she says green green green is the only way its a religion i tell ya.those noisy nasty 2 stroke smokin motors should be taken by the cops and they do around here in bc.ill move i cant stand this nothing makes sense here!!this guy does im tryin to figure out an attack,bicycle people dont like us iether,were on our own..a motorized bicycle advocacy and safety group.is needed. http://www.crankmail.com/Fred/bike-res.html

heres more if yer interested

im gonna post a open forum reply from local police seargent,let me know if any of this makes sense to you!------------------------------------------------------------------#
mark victoria
August 5th, 2007 at 11:22 am

question regarding powered bicycles,i have built a hybrid bicycle as i have found i dont need a car in the greater victoria area.and would like to contribute to a greener victoria.ive met a few road blocks with my alternative transport vehicle. i sold my truck and spent the money on the bicycle which is in the thousands.it has a 500 watt electric motor on it with a battery pack,kevlar tires and upgraded brakes.its incapable of going past 18 miles an hour.problem being is i have a 42cc gas powered generator which is dot approved with a catalytic converter, in case i go past the batteries limits.it will charge the batteries for 4 cents of fuel,which would be 25 minutes of running.on private property.the bicycle has lights and reflectors on it.i dont want it taken away.any information would be greatly appreciated.thanks for your time.i am a licensed peace officer also.

Saanich Police Response: Hi Mark, as you probably know a motor assisted cycle is NOT classified as a motor vehicle under the Motor Vehicle Act. The ICBC website has a great section on low powered vehicles. Please take a look as it is very informative and will assist you with building a safe and legal bike.

Response by Cst Trina Stevens ---------------------------------------------motorized bicycle law as of aug 4 2002 as stated.caution"if the preceding requirements are not met,the owner could be fined for driving an unregistered,unlicensed motor vehicle if the police observe it operating on the road regardless of whether the engine is running. from this paragraph,the vehicle standards in the motor vehicle act regulations apply to bicycles with internal combustion engines.the owner of a ten speed or mountain bike with a internal combustion motor such as gas powered,must register,liscense,and insure it as a limited speed motorcycle.bicycles that are equipped with a gas motor must be made street legal before they are operated on the road.------------------------------------------------------------------
"motor assisted cycle" means a device

(a) to which pedals or hand cranks are attached that will allow for the cycle to be propelled by human power,

(b) on which a person may ride,

(c) to which is attached a motor of a prescribed type that has an output not exceeding the prescribed output, and

(d) that meets the other criteria prescribed under section 182.1 (3);--------------------------------------------------------------------this is 182.1--BILL 20 - 2000
MOTOR VEHICLE AMENDMENT ACT, 2000

HER MAJESTY, by and with the advice and consent of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of British Columbia, enacts as follows:

1 Section 1 of the Motor Vehicle Act, R.S.B.C. 1996, c. 318, is amended

(a) by adding the following definition:

"motor assisted cycle" means a device

(a) to which pedals or hand cranks are attached that will allow for the cycle to be propelled by human power,

(b) on which a person may ride,

(c) to which is attached a motor of a prescribed type that has an output not exceeding the prescribed output, and

(d) that meets the other criteria prescribed under section 182.1 (3); ,

(b) in the definition of "motor vehicle" by adding ", but does not include a motor assisted cycle" at the end, and

(c) in the definition of "vehicle" by striking out "except a device designed to be moved by human power or used exclusively on stationary rails or tracks." and substituting "but does not include a device designed to be moved by human power, a device used exclusively on stationary rails or tracks or a motor assisted cycle."

2 Section 119 (1) is amended in the definition of "cycle" by adding "and includes a motor assisted cycle" after "may ride".

3 Section 124 (1) is amended

(a) by adding the following paragraph:

(x.1) that a parent or guardian of a person under the age of 16 years must not authorize or knowingly permit the person to operate a motor assisted cycle on a path or way designated under paragraph (y); , and

(b) in paragraph (y) by striking out "or (x);" and substituting ", (x) or (x.1);".

4 The following section is added:
Motor assisted cycles

182.1 (1) A person who is under the age of 16 years commits an offence if that person operates a motor assisted cycle on a highway.

(2) A parent or guardian of a person under the age of 16 years commits an offence if the parent or guardian authorizes or knowingly permits the person to operate a motor assisted cycle on a highway.

(3) The Insurance Corporation of British Columbia may make regulations respecting motor assisted cycles including, without limitation, regulations prescribing

(a) the criteria that must be met by a device in order for it to qualify as a motor assisted cycle for the purposes of this Act,

(b) the requirements that must be met in relation to operators of, and equipment attached to, motor assisted cycles, and

(c) restrictions on what may be attached to or carried on a motor assisted cycle.

Consequential Amendments

Commercial Transport Act

5 Section 1 of the Commercial Transport Act, R.S.B.C. 1996, c. 58, is amended by repealing the definition of "motor vehicle" and substituting the following:

"motor vehicle" means a vehicle designed to be self propelled, but does not include

(a) a vehicle operating wholly on fixed rails or tracks,

(b) an electric trolley bus, or

(c) a motor assisted cycle within the meaning of the Motor Vehicle Act; .

can anyone make sense of this carp?im kinda confused 1 says yes 1 says no!1 says yes 1 says no.

nope, i couldn't make heads or tails of that, but it seems at the personal level the law is on your side...

you need more riders/numbers i think before you'll be able to loosen the e-elitist lady's grip on the local standards. send your local law here to get the real scoop on how all motor asisted bicycles contribute.

good luck, & keep us posted 8)

re fighting back

thanx augidog for reading that.well ive taken my gas motor off my bicycle for now.and im talking to bicycle advocates and even joined one.at least i can go to meetings and try changing motored bicycle laws.i have found out that there has been 8 gas powered bicycles taken this year so far.and 70% of those people have been fined! i already started a new project involving my 43cc mitsubishi on a brodie suspension bike with disk brakes. im going to equip with lights signals and everything there asking for and i will put it on the road plated and insured.ill be the first to do this in bc ive already checked.it helps i know certification mechanics so im on my way ill keep yooz posted.

go for it !

good luck dude...:cool:
if you help change the law for the better, you will be doing a big thing for all that follow :D

Back