Bad to the bone

Quenton Guenther

Vendor
Local time
7:25 AM
Hi everyone,
I have been so busy making, selling, & shipping so many Whizzer performance parts, that I almost forgot to start on my own pojects for the up comming shows & events. A couple of days ago I was able to construct a Whizzer [WC-1]motor that was planned almost a year ago. I managed to put everything off with only a few weeks left to "tune" my special motor. Sadly I wasn't able to complete my tests on camshafts, automatic clutches, or the newest prototype heads in time, but I must have done something right, because I just rode the fastest Whizzer ever! On a long straight road [6 miles] in the middle of nowhere [that's where I live], riding my 1999 Whizzer with a high ratio clutch system [7.29 X 1] I watched the tachometer climb to 6800 RPMs and the speedometer needle just kept turning aound the bottom. Even allowing a little for belt slipage, I easily exceeded 70 MPH. I must admit even I think I might have went a litlle too far this time. I was actually beginning to worry about bicycle tires, wheels, bearings and other items that might not do well at these crazy speeds. On the return trip I mainly traveled below 50 MPH, but was amazed of the power between 4500 & 6800 RPMs. In fact it would accelerate like a rocket between 50 & 70 MPH, when the motor hit 5000 RPMs it would almost throw me off. At 5000 RPMs it was like a 4 barrel "kicking in", just hard to believe, it is a flat head motor.
My original plans were to replace the motor I used at Dawson Springs, KY last year on the "Roller Road" but it may find its way to my 1950 Sportsman "Dirt Drag" Whizzer instead. Boy, won't that be fun, I had a hard time keeping the front wheel down last year with a lot less power, maybe I need to install "wheelie bars", ha ha.
BTW, this will be the first Whizzer motor I had help with, and want to thank Gerd Lowack for his efforts in helping me make this "monster" motor.
It didn't take long to discover the motor's need for higher octane fuel [all my tuned motors use regular], and it had a litlle extra time to cool off as I tried to get over the sticker shock of hi test gasoline at the local gas station. But I managed to deal with needing a co-signer to pay the cashier and I was soon on my way. Can't wait to see how this motor does with 1/2 the weight, 20" wheels, and a 16 X 1 clutch ratio, should be able to climb the nearest building in a couple of seconds.
Have fun,
Quenton

:eek:

Have you seen that movie "The Worlds Fastest Indian"?

Do you think sometimes you are living that dream?

It didn't even occur to me that they still make them Whizzers flat heads.

That's saying something.

That's saying a whole lot.

Quenton, that's scary fast. :eek: I'd be concerned about the same things, especially the tires. I don't think they make 26x2.125 "Z" rated tires. :LOL:

I have the movie "Worlds fastest Indian".
I think I might go back to riding my Ambassador for a while........... Wonder how this motor might work on it? It has much bigger tires, and some big time brakes. Maybe after a few runs on the motor this summer I might bolt it in the Ambassador and see what it feels like to ride the power with a serious setup. I know I would feel a lot better about riding the Ambassador at 60 MPH than my 1999 at 45 MPH.
I will say I have been surprized several times already this year by Whizzers, first the Ambassador is really a lot of fun, and almost [99%] trouble free, and secondly I never knew that much power was inside that little 138 CC flat head motor. I don't want to mislead anyone, but I raced motorcycles in the late 60s, 70s, and into the early 80s, and have really traveled at some hard to believe speeds, but when I grabed a hand full of throttle at 50 MPH on a Whizzer and almost tossed me off the back, I was shocked to say the least. Most of my modified motors in the past started hitting the power at 4500 RPMs and pulled strong to 6000 RPMs, however this latest motor pulls much harder, and still pulls strong up to 6800 RPMs. The part that amazes me is how fast it revs from 4500 to 6800 under a load [it acts like it is on the stand with the wheel off the ground], and even though my belts are "super tight", they lost a little grip each time I advanced the throttle quickly.
Have fun,
Quenton

I have a question Quenton.
Does this have a WC-1 cylinder or a special NE cylinder? Just wondering.

Jim

Hi Jim, Sorry I didn't pass along a few important details, however this motor was planned to be the replacement for my 68 MPH [Portland, IN] power plant on my 1999 Whizzer. My 1999 was originally equiped with the WC-1 motor, and it was this same motor that I just reworked. The bottom end and cases are the original, however all the rest is "different". Of all the years I raced, I never ran anything execpt "stocK" bore & stroke, not even a first over piston. I remember removing the head on my wifes Whizzer at Portland, IN after a run on Kenny Thomas's Roller Road, and suddenly noticed about 25 people gathered around. They couldn't beleive it was completely stock , including the head, piston, valves, carburetor, etc.
Not the case with my current project, the piston, valves, seats, guides. lifters [very trick], wrist pin, rings, head gasket, combustion chamber design, and exhaust pipe are not made by Whizzer. And for the first time in my life I had the cylinder "bored", but not for size, although slightly larger, but so that I could use a special piston. I did the math and instead of 137.795 CC, I am now extracting power from a 147.634 "monster" motor. I am sure the major power boost didn't appear because of the extra 10 CCs, but the more a motor is "over square" the higher it can rev.
The flywheel is NE, the side cover is NE, the cylinder is [Early] NE, the carburetor is [Early 26 MM] NE, the head is "kinda" NE/SE, the camshaft is also "kinda" NE/SE, the automatic clutch is a early 2005 version.
There ya have it! almost, cause I am not telling about my special lifter system, or any details about the piston.
Have fun,
Quenton

Thanks Quenton.
I guess you can't give out all your secrets.lol
and riff,
I don't know about you but I would probably hurt myself with something like that. It still sounds fun though.

Jim

Thanks Quenton.
I guess you can't give out all your secrets.lol
and riff,
I don't know about you but I would probably hurt myself with something like that. It still sounds fun though.

Jim

LOL!!!
You know, seriously, I don't heal as quickly nor as well as I once did not long ago. The problem is, my soul is that of a kid, and I can't change that, so I guess I'm willing to pay the price for a little adventure and fun.
I think Quenton's achievement is pretty darn big! I'm hoping the other whizzer racers and such will give him the kudos and recognition- I sure do. It's a real milestone and pretty historic from my perspective. And totally- if you wanna be competitive, don't give out your secrets!

Back