Bad to the bone

This thread makes me want to get a Whizzer if I would ever have the funds. I know some people when given a choice with their money would choose the motorcycle route for it's all modern and has a gearbox and you can cruise on the highway and get there faster bla bla bla but a Whizzer with no gears to shift,speed determined by sprocket gearing and engine RPM not unlike a Happy Time set up,I'm just imagining starting off and accelerating with just engine,climbing in speed as your rpm's rise,topping off when your rpm's peak.
This is a whole different world than gear box shifting. Most would say this is ludricus. Why doesn't it have a gear box?
I'm starting to understand why.
I have to admit with an engine looking as big as it looks,I didn't understand myself.

Hi Bill,
Sure you can guess, but it isn't a Honda piston.
Kenny Thomas uses the Honda piston in his "vintage" Whizzer [he finished second last year at the Dirt Drags]. He also uses a 1/2" "stroker" crank giving him a motor with 154.746 CC, but is under-square. When the stroke is longer than the bore the motor will produce more torque, but less RPMs. Also in the photo of my Whizzer pulling a "wheelie" is Kenny's radical machine. The piston I use requires some of the base of the cylinder be removed, because the piston is shorter from the pin to the crown. nuff said.
Have fun,
Quenton

HI Quenton thanks for letting me take a stab at it .Im thinking about building A saltlake Whizzer for next year,Need to get more info to put togeather Have Fun Bill

Hi Large,
It is true, the Whizzer is a world of it's own. I raced motorcycles for many years and never thought I would enjoy "going slow", but in fact I do. I have ridden bikes above 200 MPH, and all I remember is the "blur" of items as I passed by. I guess one of the most enjoyable parts of owning a Whizzer is, I can modify it and know it is going to stay together. It is a lot of fun applying what I learned about motors during my racing days to the Whizzer and see the results. It is like a small scale "race" bike, and if done correctly, the results are very noticable. I can recall the day that my 2003 Panther went from 25 MPH restricted motorbike to a fire breathing 50 MPH "against the wind" ride.
I have been lucky to have won so many "races" & awards over the last few years with my Whizzers, and have found the motors to be durable no matter what I extracted from them. I know what it is like to enjoy the simple drive train, and design the motor to fit my needs. I have one motor that can exceed 8000 RPMs, and when used with the right pulley ratios, can reach speeds hard to believe. It is a lot of fun changing the ratios to fit the different types of competition. I have one bike that the motor turns 16 times to one complete turn of the 20" rear wheel, and another the motor only turns 6.67 times for a single revolution of the 26" rear wheel. At 6130 RPMs the 20" travels 22 MPH and the 26" touches 71 MPH, a large difference, and believe it or not, I ride the 26" with the tall ratios most of the time. The main reason I ride the bike with the tall ratios is because the motor is only turning 3500 RPMs at 40 MPH, great for gas mileage on the open road.
I know often many owners dis-like the slower take off speed of a stock Whizzer, but if the motor is un-restricted, it easily overcomes the less than stellar take off speeds. And when the 50 or 70 MM clutch is used, it takes off quick, but will max out the top end at really low speeds, and will become very thirsty for fuel. So see my modification help lower the demand for fuel, a good thing!
Have fun,
Quenton

Hi Bill, Lets talk. I can help you with engine mods for the Salt flats. Who knows, I might sell a few of my earlier motors if someone wanted to try for a record.

Have fun,
Whizzer OuterBanks,
Quenton

Back