Balsa and Fiberglass Fuel Tank

Machiasmort--I have forgotten a lot of what I learned in Fiberglass U.When I was into it in the mid 80s there were something like 180+ different resins. Some you could bend if the glass was 1/4in thick and some was almost fire proof. Can only guess what is out there now as well as the materials.

Kind of hard to explain epoxy over polyester resin. Poly was called GP resin for General Pupose. It is used for most general parts.
JB Weld is epoxy. Just that the chemicals in it are not bothered by most other chemicals and the molecules link up to a harder product.
I worked in Fla. and saw guys grind fiberglass all day in a pair of shorts and a tank top, in the summer.

I would check with a local supplier or on line to see what the pros say. We are real lucky to have a plastic and fiberglass supply shop near us loaded with guys who know thier business. I think I'll build a tank with a metal core and see how full of knowledge I'm not.
I saw a company on Long Island that did high end interiors and sound systems. They used fleece to stretch over the boxes that they mounted the monster speakers in and wet it out with resin.

Steve.

Brent,

Thanks a million for that post of your tank... Awesome work! I sure am glad I drudged up this old thread! LOL, I'm learning alot from you guy's!

resin and styro

FE,
I'm sure you know more than me then! LOL

Promised I'd post my findings. Here they are.

Used thin styrofoam 1/4 thick and placed small ammount of BONDO (polyester) catalized resin onto it. It ate through in less than a minute!

On the possitive side Caswell makes a sealer that will seal polyester resin against gas, or so they claim.

In conversation here, I'm having trouble understanding the difference between epoxy and poyester resin. What is a good local source of epoxy fiberglass resin fitting this application? I've read a few other posts which also agree that a sealer is not required with epoxy. My main issue is that these morons get on the internet and blab about stuff they have no clue. I've read alot of conflicting information regarding resins and the process of application, sanding ect.

Try some different types of "styrofoam"--that's a word much like kleenex--lots of different kinds. Another thing you might try is painting the foam product with primer paint---I've spray-painted literally hundreds of duck decoys made of expanded polystyrene---that's the white stuff made up of little balls. Most spray paints will eat right up, but if you put a coat of white house paint primer on it (doesn't seem to matter if it is oil or latex) everything goes well. I think the solvents or propellants or both don't play well with the foam. I've also painted, fiberglassed and epoxied both the blue and pink builder's insulation foam to no ill effect.

Difference between polyester resin and epoxy resin is like the difference between beer and wine--both have applications. Epoxy is more expensive, but preferred in the wooden boat building world because it is much tougher than polyesther and bonds with almost everything whereas poly just sticks to most things and will eventually come off. Epoxy is vulnerable to UV rays, so you must paint it for outdoor applications.

You are on the right track with the experemental pieces--my boat shed has been littered for years with various scraps of wood and plywood glued together with various products to see which ones last and which ones don't.

Looks like off to the marine store! Wonder what paint to use now once the tank is complete? LOL

Thanks for the help and advice Chris!

foam insulation sheets (the blue and pink ones) are the best with epoxy resin. Otherwise, you could always wrap the foam plug with cellophane or packing tape and then glass it. But then you have to pick out all that stuff when you dissolve the foam... plus epoxy resin is stronger stuff anyway. It costs a little more, but it's cheaper than making repairs or a whole new tanks.

epoxy fuel tanks

Hi All
Here is some good info from one of the best epoxy manufactures around.

www.epoxyworks.com/18/pdf/tanks.pdf

Keep in mind that this info is how to make a wood epoxy tank , the information about properly mixing the epoxy is valid with respect to using epoxy and fiberglass for a gas tank.
Best of luck
Brent

Last edited by a moderator:
Fiberglass tanks have been outlawed for Motorcycle use. In a crash, the tank would
crack, and soak rider with fuel. The idea of a custom made tank cover [ shell over steel tank ] sounds much safer. As for a glass tank ... I don't think so ! Take a look at some small engine tanks. Some are ugly, some are wicked cool. The old Kohlers and Tecumsehs had some very nice tanks, perfect for behind the seat mounting. Motorcross Poly tanks are another thought. Trouble is ... nothing sticks to Poly.

Back