BAMF II engines

i have to wonder about the mind that would buy it, tho...

i see many pending 1st posts: "just spent $3000 & my bike won't run, help me NOW!" ;)

I'd agree it looks like a lot for not much beyond a nice paint job--but if you read the pop-up of the guy, mostly what he does is "style" things.

------

Also, when I look at bikes with upside-down bars like that, I see pain.
It's one thing I never considered doing on mine.
~

I originally had upside down bars on mine- and I did not find it uncomfortable- for reference, I am 36 yrs old, 6'3" and over 200#.

However, in looking at the pics of old board track racers, usually, their bars went straight out. then down at an angle- one bend per side, rather than out, downa and back as normal handle bars do- therefore, I made my own. Haven't ridden with them though.

There's just one big problem

That Derringer site has some spunky bikes and a rather pretentious shop outlet with a Derringer Club for rich Derringer boys to meet at. You probably have to be interviewed for a Derringer bike and only 15% pass at interview. The successful ones are taken through to the measuring room - 'Do you hang to the left or the right sir?'.
The unsuccessful ones are told to reapply in 3 years time and, if successful second time, they get bikes of a specific colour so in the Derringer Clubhouse they can discriminate between first-timers and second-timers! In the second-timer dining room at the Derringer Country Club there is no linen on the tables! The Derringer website leaves me with a smirk on my face and there is only one big drawback to the whole Derringer concept. Their HT engine is the basically out of the same factories as the ones that are littering my garden except some metal engraver has engraved 'Derringer' on the clutch cover! Now if they used a Franco Marini motor then they might have some substance to put in their trendy shop 'where the coffee is free" but the idea will probably make them rich because it's in Los Angeles. Call me a cynic but the person I expect to see riding one of these will probably be wearing long white trousers, a blazer, cravat and boater!

i wonder how much they really cost and what it would take to build a copy and sell it for dirt cheap and what the guy would try to do

How much would it cost? For the 4 stroke- under $750, 2 stroke less.

What would he do? What can he do- there is absolutely nothing original about those bikes other than the price.

They use a tank from a General Moped- and engines like we all see here. Pretty colors- nothing other than that.

When mine is done, I dare say it will be far more unique than those.

Has he pulled the engine shrouds off the ghx50, or is it one of the honda designed (from about 30 years ago) engines?

If it's a true ghx50, pulling the shroud just about guarantees that it WON"T meet CARB II emissions standards. The shroud is there there for a reason - to direct the air flow from the flywheel over the engine, in order to maintain a stable engine temperature.

Last edited:
They pulled the shroud off- the starter assembly is the same as my modern GXH50, just painted and without the shroud behind it. They also pulled off the shield around the left side of the cylinder.

I would love to do both for the look, but I do not want to ruin the air flow and possibly my engine. These are designed not just as air-cooled, but as forced air cooled.

The fins on the flywheel aren't there for looks- the suck in air and it is very deliberately routed where it is needed to cool the engine, like loquin said.

4 stroke????

$3000?!?!?! That's crazy...you could buy my Brutus frame and tank for $700.00. The whole bike for $1350.00!

All the did was bolt on a tank to a cruiser bicycle and throw on a Happy time...sheesh!

I'm glad you pointed this out, because i have a niggling feeling that only one of the derringers i have seen have a 4 stroke, all the rest look like your average HT engine and yes on a cruiser frame with angled bars and a custom tank and paint job. Yet the website and his tv interview say all the bikes are 4 stroke.....

I have a honda gx50 and that motor DOES NOT RESEMBLE MINE at all. I could use a better pic but I zoomed in at 200 power and its a different motor from what I see.

Back