BAMF II engines

Did anyone read the article in this months Vanity Fair Magazine about this guy? They talk about his bikes and his design background. 3k is alot for one of these bikes, definitly cool but You would definitly have to be a Rodeo Drive hipster to throw down that kind of cash.

Torques, your legal problems have sent you over the edge.....

They are using a real Honda GX 50 with a Grubee gearbox
It is not a Chinese copy of the Honda

I kinda got to agree with torques. Just from what I've learned with Honda and DE. I seriously doubt that Honda would even sell them their engines. Honda is fairly particular about who they sell to, and they are not the biggest fans of the Grubee style. And why, other then cost, would the folks in China get there hands on the GXH50 engine design, and make a clone for Grubee motorized bikes.

I guess they definitely still could be using Honda engines. But the only way I see them buying "True Honda" engines, is through a third party supplier, but not Honda itself.

I have a Honda and anyone with $210 can have one too. Why would he have to buy directly from Honda? I kind of doubt his production is in the thousands...or hundreds. Probably more like "dozens". At $3,000+, he can afford to drop $210.

Last edited by a moderator:
Derringer Cycles uses the Honda GX50 on their bikes

They buy directly from Honda and give a 1 year warranty that
is honored through authorized Honda repair centers

I kinda got to agree with torques.
I guess .
I don't guess.....
I got my info direct from Derringer

And why, other then cost, would the folks in China get there hands on the GXH50 engine design, and make a clone for Grubee motorized bikes.
The Chinese clone of the Honda GX 50 wasn't specifically made for Grubee.

PS: It's $3500 and the "man" says there is a 12 week waiting time for delivery
Nothing like creating demand through scarcity :D

One of these days I will make it up to LA on a Saturday to check them out

I kinda got to agree with torques. Just from what I've learned with Honda and DE. I seriously doubt that Honda would even sell them their engines. Honda is fairly particular about who they sell to, and they are not the biggest fans of the Grubee style. And why, other then cost, would the folks in China get there hands on the GXH50 engine design, and make a clone for Grubee motorized bikes.

I guess they definitely still could be using Honda engines. But the only way I see them buying "True Honda" engines, is through a third party supplier, but not Honda itself.

Last edited:

Only American's can buy those cheap Hondas from Small Engine Warehouse. With air freight etc and exchange we can't afford to but Honda are about to supply me my engines and they like their engines being on a bike as far as I can tell. $210 is a lot cheaper than Honda will supply wholesale motors for so count your blessings you lucky Americans. Those derringers have no mudguards (or fenders to some) and a bike with no mudguards would be pretty horrible to ride in the wet. I see they have 2 brakes which is definitely a big plus. I'd love to know where they get those tanks from. Anyone have any inside knowledge?

Where they get them from, I do not know. What they are, I do know.

General Moped

Attachments

• general.jpg
    general.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 253
Where they get them from, I do not know. What they are, I do know.

General Moped

Thanks HoughMade but what make of moped is that? - can't quite read the photo. I reckon those Derringers are really lovely and all the 4-stroke needs is fenders. I'd love to take a close look at the paintworks and general quality of assembly & componentry.

Thanks HoughMade but what make of moped is that? - can't quite read the photo. I reckon those Derringers are really lovely and all the 4-stroke needs is fenders. I'd love to take a close look at the paintworks and general quality of assembly & componentry.
It's a General Moped

HoughMade, I love the look of your bike.....You did an excellent job, I wish someone with your skills lived near me to help me with a motor bike build. Did you ever consider the Franco Morini engines?

HoughMade, I love the look of your bike.....You did an excellent job, I wish someone with your skills lived near me to help me with a motor bike build. Did you ever consider the Franco Morini engines?

Back