Barn find honda z50 project

mark20

Welp, i couldn't resist.
As i recently sold off my homemade mini bike, i decided to buy something with, well lets call it "charactor"
Engine is locked up pretty good, i need go make a new seat for it, and its pretty rusty. Tank looks rusted on the outside, but is basicly spotless on the inside, and no holes!! Current im soaking the engine in some Marvel and wd40. Ill see if it breaks free tommorrow. Also made a temporary kickstart from some bolts I had laying around.

Heres some pics!

Attachments

Coleman Powersports

Welp, i couldn't resist.
As i recently sold off my homemade mini bike, i decided to buy something with, well lets call it "charactor"
Engine is locked up pretty good, i need go make a new seat for it, and its pretty rusty. Tank looks rusted on the outside, but is basicly spotless on the inside, and no holes!! Current im soaking the engine in some Marvel and wd40. Ill see if it breaks free tommorrow. Also made a temporary kickstart from some bolts I had laying around.

Heres some pics!
You sound like a guy who could fix a bike. I need help.

mark20

You sound like a guy who could fix a bike. I need help.
Yup! This one has a pushrod motor, pretty early variation of the honda, unfortunately it's siezed solid (looks like dirt was sucked in the intake) so currently im deciding on what to do, hopefully i can get it freed up. This is a pretty fun project so far. Got the wheels freed up!

What do you need help with?

mark20

Yea thats the later model with rear suspension and a OHC engine. Just got it pulled apart. Engine spins over free now!
But the piston does need new rings (they were rusted so bad that they broke apart in my hands) hoping that some random 4 stroke 50cc pit bike rings will fit it no problemo

So far it looks promising, as the piston isnt melted or really f***ed over. That was my main concern.

I don't really want to throw lots of money into this thing, as its just going to be a solid beater bike around town and on trails

Attachments

Last edited:

Wrench

That's a Project
I sure do remember those from the 1970s. Available in the USA from 1968 - 1978
Looks like ya got a 1971 - 72 Long Tail K-2 Mini Trail (Monkey Bike)
Might want to check the frame for cracks. The frame was famous for cracking on the Hardtail Mini trail
After 1972 Honda switched to a rear suspension. The Monkey Bike and the Cub used the same 50cc motor
You also can install a Pit bike 125cc on that Monkey bike

mark20

That's a Project
I sure do remember those from the 1970s. Available in the USA from 1968 - 1978
Looks like ya got a 1971 - 72 Long Tail K-2 Mini Trail (Monkey Bike)
Might want to check the frame for cracks. The frame was famous for cracking on the Hardtail Mini trail
After 1972 Honda switched to a rear suspension. The Monkey Bike and the Cub used the same 50cc motor
You also can install a Pit bike 125cc on that Monkey bike
Yea its similer, im debating whether someone had engine swaped this before, as the engine is similer to a c100 (Honda's 60s moped)

Im going to try to keep costs down by trying to work with what i got, the cylinder is rusty but isn't scored up at all. If i find a 70 or 125cc motor on market place for around 50$ ill go pick it up.
But currently not wanting to spend 400$ on a new engine, im going to try to revive this hunk of steel (damn cylinder probably weights close to 20lbs 😆)

Only place the frame is cracked is on the exhuast hanger, but i can reweld that.

My main goal is to have it running and driving for 200$ (figured id spent 100$ on it, and ill throw in 100$ more for the hell of it)